ResHall Registration: Computer
Your computer should be connected to the ResHall network for at least 5 minutes before you attempt to register.
You need to register your laptop or desktop in order to use internet in the Residence Halls. Register your computer at the Registration site https://reg.unr.edu . You need an active NetID to register your device.
Before you can register your computer, you need an active NetID. Activate your NetID at https://netid.unr.edu.
Prepare Computer for Registration
- Get a Patch Cable to connect to the network provided in your dorm room. A 6-foot Cat5, Cat5e, or Cat6 ethernet patch cable is required.
- Cables are available at the Nevada Wolf Shop (ASUN Bookstore), located in the ASUN bookstore at the Joe Crowley Student Union.
- Do not use a phone wire. Patch cables have a rectangular-shaped plug. Phone lines have a square-shaped plug.
- Avoid excessive lengths of cable (e.g., keep the cable under 20 feet) to minimize electronic interference.
- Review our information on Safe Computing. computers found to be insecure or out of compliance with connection policies will be blocked from network access until the issues are resolved.
- Configure the operating system to connect to the ResHall Network:
Register Your Computer
- To initiate a connection, plug the computer into the ethernet port in your dorm, and open up a web browser and navigate to https://reg.unr.edu.
- On initial connection, the UNR Residence Hall Usage Agreement, shown below, will display. All connections to the University network are governed by these policies. You must read the policies completely and agree the conditions before proceeding!
[WARNING] - You are responsible for the network activity associated with your account (UNR NetID) AND the activity of any other computers or network devices registered using your account! Do not share your account! Keep your login information as private as you would your ATM PIN number. If you suspect someone is using your account, immediately change your password. Information on changing your password.
If you agree to the policies and terms of access, click the Agree button to continue.
If you do not wish to accept the policies, you should click "Disagree" and you will exit the registration system. Please note that you will not be allowed to use the University network resources if you do not agree to the policies.
- At the Welcome page, you can select whether you are registering a computer or another type of device.
- After clicking on Start for registering a computer, you will be taken to the registration page. Enter in your NetID, your NetID password, and select the type of computer you are registering.
- Click Continue to proceed.
- A confirmation screen will appear. Review all information for accuracy then follow these IMPORTANT instructions:
Close your web browser, then reopen your web browser (you may also need to restart your computer).
- Some systems may receive notification in the lower right portion of your screen (near the clock) that implies you have unplugged your network connection.
This is normal and is actually the registration system switching your computer into the correct network. The connection will resume within 30 seconds, at which point you will be able to use the network normally.
You should now be connected to the ResHall network. If you experience any issues, please see our ResHall Network Troubleshooting section.