Virtual Private Network (VPN)
What is the VPN?
The Virtual Private Network is a system at the University that allows an off-campus computer to connect to the University network. Once connected via the VPN, the off-campus computer will be treated by the University network as though it were on-campus.
Who can use the VPN?
First-time Connection Instructions
The VPN requires you to download a connection agent. You only need to complete this process once. See below for information on how to do any subsequent VPN connections you may want to make.
A VPN connection can be established on both a Mac and Windows computer. The instructions below are primarily focused on a Windows computer, because that is the most common operating system in use by the faculty and staff at the University. However, the process for both operating systems is basically the same.
- To access the VPN for the first time, go to https://border.unr.edu and log in with your NetID and password.
- The VPN requires you to download a connection agent. After logging in, select the option that best suits your type of computer. Windows users unsure whether to pick the 32-bit or 64-bit version should choose the 32-bit version.
- If given the option, run the file. Otherwise, save the file somewhere memorable (like your computer desktop), and then double-click on it to run the program.
- During the installation process, accept all of the defaults as you click Next through the options.
- You may receive a warning asking you to verify the installation of the program. Click Yes.
- Once you have installed the software, click Close on the installation program. The VPN connection client should launch automatically. If it does not, run GlobalProtect Agent from your list of available programs.
- The settings to connect to the VPN are:
- Username: Your NetID username
- Password: Your NetID password
- Portal: border.unr.edu
In the bottom-right of your screen, a Globe icon will appear informing you of the status of your connection.
A globe icon will appear in the status bar at the top-right of your screen. It will let you know when you have successfully connected to the VPN.
Once you have successfully connected to the VPN, your computer will act as if it is on-campus. You will be able to access all the resources you would normally be able to access if you were on-site at the University.
The VPN Connection Agent is programmed to always run. However, you must manually tell it when you would like to connect to the VPN.
Locate the GlobalProtect Globe Icon in your system tray. You may need to click on the arrow to the left of all the icons to expand the available running programs.
Locate the GlobalProtect Globe Icon in the status bar at the top-right of your screen (near the clock).
- Right-click on the icon, and click on Connect.
- You may be asked to enter in a username and password. This is your NetID. Click on Apply to connect to the VPN.
You are now connected to the VPN.
Disconnecting from the VPN
To disconnect, right-click on the Globe Icon in the system tray (Windows) or status bar (Mac) and then click on Disconnect.
If you have any issues with the VPN, please contact IT Support.