DreamSpark is a service offered by Microsoft allowing students to download premium Microsoft software titles for no charge. To download the software, it is necessary to create a DreamSpark account, and verify that you are affiliated with the University of Nevada, Reno.
Creating a DreamSpark account
- Go to the Dreamspark Student portal.
- At the bottom of the screen are instructions for creating an account. If you already have an account with Microsoft (such as an Xbox Live account or Hotmail/Live email address) then you can click on Sign In. In this example, we do not have an account, so we click on Create Account.
- Enter in a username (email address) and password. You do not need to use a Microsoft-affiliated email address, any email will do. Additionally, the password must be at least 6 characters long and contain at least one special character (e.g. !@#$%). When completed, click on continue to verify.
- You will then be asked how you would like to verify your student affiliation. Select Get verified through my school. Further options will appear. Type in University of Nevada and select the first University of Nevada, Reno option. The second option (with a more specific location) will not work.
- You will then be directed to a UNR site called Shibboleth Authentication Portal. Enter in your NetID and password to verify that you are an affiliated member of the University. Click Continue.
If you authenticate successfully, you will see a "Congratulations" message letting you know that your account had been set up correctly.You will now be able to log into the DreamSpark site, with the credentials you created in Step 3, and download all the available software titles.