One of the advantages of living on campus is the number of opportunities to get involved. Your hall community starts with you. While residential life staff is here to assist in community building efforts, your involvement and ideas will ultimately determine what kind of living environment you will have. The following are just some of the student leadership opportunities for you to get involved. Please ask the hall staff for information on getting involved with any of these or other campus programs and organizations.
- Associated Students, University of Nevada (ASUN)
- Interfraternity Council (IFC)
- Flipside (Student Programming)
- Food Service Worker
- Fraternities and Sororities
- Hall Council
- National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)
- Panhellenic Council (PHC)
- Residence Hall Association (RHA)
- Resident Assistant
- Student Clubs and Organization
- Student Desk Attendants
There are many ways to become part of what's going on. For instance:
- Attend your floor meetings. What better way to find out important information and get to know your neighbors!
- Be a part of your hall council. Hall council meetings are open to all residents. Bring your ideas to your hall council, RA, CA or RD and get others interested, too.
- Attend RHA. By virtue of living on campus you are a member of this organization. The Residence Hall Association is a student run board that organizes programs and activities in the halls and represents residents on issues that affect their living environment. Attend hall functions, both social and educational. Regular activities include presentations by faculty, workshops, and recreational events.
- Join an ASUN committee or organization. Every student is a member of the Associated Students of the University of Nevada. We strongly encourage residence hall students to get involved with campus activities, committees, and elections.
- Join a Fraternity or Sorority (Greek organization). By becoming a member you will be joining a national or international social network of people committed to life-long friendships, leadership, academics and community service.
- Check out the Joe Crowley Student Union for movies, speakers, multicultural art exhibits and more! There are a variety of films shown at the JCSU. You can count on interesting lectures, debates and discussions. Check out the JCSU for all the details!
- Attend food committee meetings. Help improve the food service by bringing your constructive comments. Residence hall representatives are able to give their input to insure that the food service is meeting student's needs. Contact RHA for more information.
- Participate in intramural sports. Contact the Intramural Office in Lombardi Recreation Center or your RA for details.
- Support our athletic teams. Sports teams and clubs representing the university include: football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, and soccer, as well as the ski team, cross country team, swim team, cycling team, track team and the boxing club. With all these sports there is something available for everyone.
- Join a community service activity. Ask around to see which are currently being sponsored or participate in the annual volunteer fair. Some community service projects include teaching adults to read, visiting a convalescent hospital, or recycling. You may wish to start your own project.
- Apply to be a Resident Assistant or Community Assistant. These student staff members gain valuable skills and leadership experience, while helping build a strong, active residence hall community. Consider joining the team. For additional information, contact your RA, CA or RD.