skip to main content

XVI. Living on Campus

A. Room Assignments 

It is the hope that you and your assigned roommate will be compatible. You are expected to remain in the room and hall to which you are assigned and are encouraged to try and work differences out before requesting a room change. Room change requests will be accepted during the first two weeks of each semester. The Department of Residential Life, Housing and Food Service generally schedules one room change period per semester approximately two weeks into the term. There is a $25 processing fee for second or subsequent room changes during the academic year. The Department of Residential Life, Housing and Food Service is responsible for approving all assignments and reserves the right to reassign individuals to other rooms or residence halls when such a move is deemed necessary. 

B. Room Changes 

Information for the room change procedure will be posted in the residence halls. Room changes are dependent upon the availability of spaces. (The student initiating the change will be required to move.) If you would like to request a room change, you must:

1. Discuss the situation with your Resident/Community Assistant (RA/CA), Resident Director (RD)/Graduate Resident Director (GRD) and roommate. 

2. Obtain a Room Change Request Form from your residence hall front desk or the Residential Life, Housing and Food Service main office. 

3. Complete the Room Change Request Form.  

4. Notify your current Resident Director of the requested change and obtain his/her signature. 

5. After completing the form and obtaining all necessary signatures, bring it to the front desk of your residence hall. 

6. If your request is authorized, you will receive a copy of the Room/Status Change Authorization Form from your RA. 

7. If your request is approved, you are required to move by the designated time. Failure to do so will result in an improper checkout charge.

No students are authorized to move until they have received official written approval. It is the responsibility of each resident to inform his/her roommate(s) when a room change has been processed. Room and roommate changes made without official written approval will result in administrative action, including but not limited to, a $50 improper room check-out charge and the requirement that you move back to your original room.

C. Room Consolidation/Accidental Privates

The Department of Residential Life, Housing and Food Service reserves the right to consolidate vacancies that exist in the residence halls. This vacancy consolidation process attempts to ensure that students occupying similar spaces are charged similar rates. If you lose your roommate and there is no waiting list for your residence hall room, you may be contacted by the Residential Life, Housing and Food Service main office. An assignment may be made and a student may move in prior to the time a resident is notified that he or she is receiving a new roommate.

Students occupying a double room and paying a double room rate may be required, if a vacancy occurs in the room, to move to another double room, accept another roommate or pay for the room as an accidental private. Similar policies apply in the case of a triple room assignment. It is the student's responsibility to select the desired roommate (another resident without a roommate) or negotiate who will move to which room. Students remaining in a room alone as a result of refusal to move to another room or to provide a welcoming atmosphere for another roommate will be charged the guaranteed private room rate commencing with the date of single occupancy and could be subject to additional disciplinary action.

D. Return Housing 

If you plan to return to the residence halls next year, you may have the opportunity to select your room and roommate(s) early. Residents in good standing with the university and the Department of Residential Life are eligible to sign up in the return housing process. They can choose from designated rooms allocated for returning students, provided they meet the published deadline and submit an initial payment. Specific information and dates will be distributed in February or March. We hope you'll return for another year!

Take the next step...