Become an Ambassador!
What are Honors Student Ambassadors?
Serving under the supervision of Dr. Daniel Villanueva, Assistant Director of the Honors Program, Ambassadors share information, answer questions, and help prospective students make an informed decision on their college choice. Ambassadors also develop and participate in programming for Honors Program students, and serve Honors in a variety of ways in the office.
What are the requirements to become an Ambassador?
- be a member in good standing of the Honors Program
- have a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA at the time of application and every semester as Ambassador
- have participated in the Honors Program for at least one semester
- be willing to act as a good representative of the Honors Program and the University of Nevada, Reno
What are Ambassador responsibilities?
- on-campus recruitment events, off-campus and out-of-town recruitment trips
- first-year student programming (HRSC programming, HON 200B, ice cream socials, orientations, annual retreat)
- phone calls, mailings, and other Honors Program office tasks as directed
- event programming for Honors Program
- attend Honors receptions and activities (BBQ's, receptions, Honors Convocations)
- attend one training session each fall
- attend monthly Ambassador meetings led by Dr. Villanueva
- devote a minimum of 5-7 hours total per month to the program in any of the following focus areas:
- Recruitment, Event Planning, Public Relations, Western Regional Honors Conference planning, Office Assistance
Ambassador Application Process
The Honors Program strives to be as diverse and inclusive as possible, seeking students who represent a wide variety of majors, are a cross-section of gender, ethnicity, region, and age at the University of Nevada, Reno, and exhibit many interests and talents that they are willing and enthusiastic to share. Candidates are chosen based on both a written application and oral interview. The required steps to apply for 2015-2016 are as follows:
- Submit a fully-completed Honors Student Ambassador application online by 5:00 PM PST on January 30, 2015. (Deadline passed)
- If you qualify based on the written application, attend an in-person interview between February 3-14, 2015.
What are the benefits of becoming an Honors Student Ambassador?
- Becoming more familiar with the Honors Program and the University of Nevada, Reno
- Meeting new people; making contact with other outstanding students
- Having an active voice in Honors Program governance
- Developing interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Building or enhancing your resume
- Earning up to 2 Honors Points per year