Become an Ambassador!
What is the Honors Student Ambassador Program?
Honors Student Ambassadors are selected Honors students who promote a positive perspective of college life to prospective Honors students and their families. Ambassadors share information, answer questions, and help prospective students make an informed decision on their college choice. Ambassadors also help develop and participate in programming for Honors Program students.
What are the requirements to become an Honors Student Ambassador?
- be members in good standing of the Honors Program
- have a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA at the time of application and every semester as Ambassador
- have participated in the Honors Program for at least one semester
- be interested in sharing their college experiences
- be willing to act as a good representative of the Honors Program and the University of Nevada, Reno
What are the responsibilities of Honors Student Ambassadors?
- participate in on-campus recruitment events, off-campus, and out-of-town recruitment trips when available (College Fairs, Nevada Bound, Previews, Wolf Pack Advising, Best and Brightest)
- participate in local high school recruitment and National Merit visits
- assist in first-year experience programming (HRSC programming, HON 200B, ice cream socials, orientations, annual retreat)
- assist with phone calls, mailings, and other Honors Program office tasks as directed
- assist with the development of programs for current Honors students (Leadership Series, Great Presentations)
- attend Honors receptions and activities (BBQ's, receptions, Honors Convocations)
- attend one training session each fall
- attend one meeting each month with the Honors Ambassador Coordinator
- participate in a minimum of two recruitment events per semester
- be available to other Honors students and to the Honors Program a minimum of two scheduled hours per month (or a minimum of 8 scheduled hours per semester) in the Honors Program office
- devote a minimum of 5-7 hours total per month to the program (recruiting, meetings, office hours, programming)
How are students chosen to become Honors Student Ambassadors?
The Honors Program strives to be as diverse and inclusive as possible. We seek students who represent a wide variety of majors, are a cross-section of gender, ethnicity, region, and age at the University of Nevada, Reno, and exhibit many interests and talents that they are willing and enthusiastic to share. Candidates for Ambassador will be chosen on the basis of both a written application and oral interview. The required steps to apply for 2014-2015 are as follows:
- Submit a fully-completed Honors Student Ambassador application to the Honors Program office by March 26, 2014.
- If you qualify based on the written application, attend an in-person interview between April 14-18, 2014.
What are the benefits of becoming an Honors Student Ambassador?
- Becoming familiar with the Honors Program and the University of Nevada, Reno
- Meeting new people; making contact with other outstanding students
- Having an active voice in Honors Program governance
- Developing interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Building or enhancing your resume
Earning up to 2 Honors Points per year