Become an Ambassador!
What are Honors Student Ambassadors?
Serving under the supervision of Dr. Daniel Villanueva, Assistant Director of the Honors Program, Ambassadors share information, answer questions, and help prospective students make an informed decision on their college choice. Ambassadors also develop and participate in programming for Honors Program students, and serve Honors in a variety of ways in the office.
What are the requirements to become an Ambassador?
- be a member in good standing of the Honors Program
- have a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA at the time of application and every semester as Ambassador
- have participated in the Honors Program for at least one semester
- be willing to act as a good representative of the Honors Program and the University of Nevada, Reno
- commit to devote a minimum of 5 - 7 hours per month to the Program in one of the following focus areas (click here for brief descriptions):
Recruitment, Office Assistance, Event Planning, Online/Social Media, Public Relations, Academic WorldQuest, Alumni Chapter, Service Projects, or Special Projects
What are general Ambassador duties?
- support of incoming student programming (HRSC events, HON 200B, ice cream socials, orientations, annual retreat)
- phone calls, mailings, and other Honors Program office tasks as directed
- attendance at Honors receptions and activities (BBQ's, receptions, Honors Convocations)
- attendance at our training seminar each fall
- attendance at monthly Ambassador meetings led by Dr. Villanueva
What are the benefits of becoming an Honors Student Ambassador?
- Becoming more familiar with the Honors Program and the University of Nevada, Reno
- Meeting new people; making contact with other outstanding students
- Having an active voice in Honors Program governance
- Developing interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Building or enhancing your resume
- Earning up to 2 Honors Points per year
- Honors priority advising at one Ambassador meeting per semester
Ambassador Application Process
The Honors Program strives to be as diverse and inclusive as possible, seeking students who represent a wide variety of majors, are a cross-section of gender, ethnicity, region, and age at the University of Nevada, Reno, and who exhibit many interests and talents they are willing and enthusiastic to share. To be considered as Ambassador, applicants must:
- Submit a fully-completed online Honors Student Ambassador application.
- (If you qualify based on the written application), attend an in-person interview which will be scheduled in March 2017.