Shopping in Reno
(by graduate student Sahar Piltan)
One of the things I enjoy to do is shopping. My first concern about a smaller city like Reno was not being able to find good shopping malls. After arriving here, though, things turned out differently. The first shopping mall I visited was the Legends outlet. The Legends offers higher end clothing for reasonable prices. Besides being able to find new fashions, you will be able to find nice clothing for your academic or job purposes cheaper than anywhere else.
If you are thinking of going shopping and want the ability to find some good restaurants to go to, or want to go to the cinema and spend your time watching movies, I highly recommend the Summit. It is not very big, but there are some really good brands there as well as a Dillards. While the Summit is a bit expensive, I personally found some of my favorite cosmetic brands there, including Sephora.
The other place I highly suggest you visit is the Meadowood Mall, near South McCarran. It is the biggest indoor shopping mall in Reno, with over 100 stores inside. Since it is covered, the Meadowood Mall is a really good place to spend time and buy clothes in cold winters or hot summers. The first thing that caught my eye in this mall was its Macy's.
If you are on a budget and are looking to buy nicer clothes for cheap, consignment stores such as Plato's Closet and Junkee's offer a wide variety of good clothing for very reasonable prices.
There are six Walmart supercenters in Reno and Sparks, but the nearest one is located within a 55-minute walking distance from the UNR campus. The nearest Winco store (2855 Northtowne Ln, Reno, NV 89512) is about 2.8 miles away from the University. It takes about half an hour to walk to the nearest Savemart super market (525 Keystone Ave, Reno, NV 89503). While the closest Raley's (701 Keystone Ave, Reno, NV 89503) is only 1.1 miles away from UNR, Walgreens (750 N Virginia St, Reno, NV 89501) is the nearest store to the university.
Your choices are not limited to those mentioned above. There are also some other good grocery stores near campus. You can find most of what you need on a daily basis over there. Some of the addresses are included below:
- Valley Market & Liquor: 505 Denslowe Dr, Reno, NV 89512
- Zippy Mart: 1690 Evans Ave, Reno, NV 89512
- Carriage Inn Market: 670 W 4th St, Reno, NV 89503
- Liberty Market (Hassa-Ibrahim Inc): 855 E 4th St # A, Reno, NV 89512
- Lucky Gofer Market: 110 E 2nd St, Reno, NV 89501
- Reno Asian Supermarket: 803 W 5th St, Reno, NV 89503
- Downtown Market Place: 138 West St, Reno, NV 89501
- Easy Market: 500 W 2nd St, Reno, NV 89503
- Shaban Mart: 1325 W 7th St # E, Reno, NV 89503
- B B Food & Liquor: 640 Kuenzli St, Reno, NV 89502
- Nesa Food & Discount Liquor: 1435 E 4th St, Reno, NV 89512
- Nahar Food & Liquor: 600 S Virginia St, Reno, NV 89501
- Sam & Son Market: 895 S Virginia St, Reno, NV 89502
- Ace Mart: 142 W 2nd St, Reno, NV 89501