skip to main content

Special Requirement Categories

Graduate Special

The graduate special classification is for students who have earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and who wish to take graduate courses but do not plan to pursue a program leading to an advanced degree, or for applicants who do not meet the requirements for admission to regular graduate standing. Admission to graduate special status does not constitute admission to graduate standing in the graduate school. With graduate special classification, a student may enroll for undergraduate or graduate credit and may satisfy the teacher certificate requirements. Although there is no limit to the number of credits that may be earned as a graduate special student, a maximum of 9 semester credits may be applied toward a program of study. Graduate Special students are not eligible for financial aid, including student loans. All graduate special students are governed by university regulations, including academic warning and probation, and are encouraged to seek official admission at the earliest possible date.

Download the Graduate Special Application Here

Applying Graduate Special Credits to a Degree

One does not need to “transfer” courses taken as a graduate special or courses taken as part of a previous degree at University of Nevada, Reno. Students who took courses intended for their degree as a Graduate Special student may apply 9 Graduate Special credits towards their degree program. Any application of credits in excess of 9 credits requires an exception to policy to be requested by your Graduate Program Director. Contact the Graduate School if you have any questions or confusion regarding what can or cannot be applied towards your degree.

Download Graduate Credit Transfer Evaluation Request Form

Need help or more information? Call us at (775) 784-6869 or email

Undergraduate Seniors

An undergraduate student at the university who is within 14 credits of completing the requirements for the bachelor's degree may enroll in 500- or 600-level courses for graduate credit, provided that such credit is requested by the student and approved by the current undergraduate advisor and Graduate Dean. Undergraduate Approval for Graduate Studies Form is available online. Students who enroll in such courses must be scholastically eligible for admission to graduate standing. The student must complete all requirements for the undergraduate degree (graduate level courses can not be used to satisfy undergraduate degree requirements) in the same semester in which registration for the graduate courses occurs; otherwise, the courses revert to undergraduate credit, provided there is an undergraduate equivalent to the course. If no such equivalency exists, no credit will be awarded. Undergraduates taking graduate courses may carry a combined credit load not to exceed the normal load for the department in which the student received the bachelor's degree. Undergraduate students are not eligible to take 700-level courses.

Download Undergraduate Senior Application

Take the next step...