15 to Finish
Fifteen credits is the number of credits in which you must be registered each semester in order to make timely progress toward your bachelor's degree and to receive your full financial aid and scholarship package.
Institutional awards such as the State Grant and State Access Grant, and most scholarships from the University, require enrollment in at least 15 credits at the University of Nevada, Reno in order for funds to be disbursed.
Some financial aid does not require the 15 credit enrollment minimum (12 credits is considered full time)
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal SEOG
- Federal Teach Grant
- Federal Loans from the Department of Education
The Millennium and Gear Up scholarships from the State of Nevada require an enrollment minimum of 12 credits.
Math 95 and 96 and English 98 count for three credits towards your financial aid enrollment. Math 96D counts for two credits towards your financial aid enrollment.
Some circumstances may be exempt from the 15 credit enrollment minimum for the disbursement of institutional aid. Favorable consideration is given to:
- Students who will be graduating in December or May can demonstrate less than 30 required credits for completion.
- Students Certified for reduced course loads by the Disability Resource Center
- Level III Nursing students
- Athletes who can demonstrate required scheduled demands with an approved plan to complete 30 credits within the calendar year and meet NCAA satisfactory progress requirements.
For additional information concerning the appeal process and form, please visit the financial aid website at www.unr.edu/Documents/student-services/financial-aid/Fifteen-Credit-Appeal-Request.pdf