skip to main content

Incoming Freshmen

Chemical engineering students

High School Preparation

The College of Engineering recommends the following entrance requirements for its degree candidates:

  • Four units of mathematics (including trigonometry or precalculus)
  • Three units of science, including physics and chemistry
  • A half year of computer programming
  • Advanced placement classes in calculus and science are particularly valuable

Engineering math requirements

To graduate in four years, you need to be enrolled in calculus (Math 181) the fall of your freshman year.

Engineering students must be enrolled in calculus (Math 181) before they can declare a specific engineering major. If you are not calculus (MATH 181) ready and you choose engineering, you will be classified as an undeclared engineering major.

students in the bachelor's degree program in civil engineering

How do I know if I'm ready for calculus?

You are eligible to enroll in calculus if:

  • You have an ACT score of 28 or higher
  • You have an SAT match score of 630 or higher
  • You took AP Calculus in high school and scored a 3, 4, or 5 on either the AB or BC test

Not ready for calculus yet? Here's what you can do:

Contact an Engineering Advisor at or 775-682-7721 to discuss your placement.

Once you've contacted an advisor, you can do one of the follow over the summer:

  • Study for the Accuplacer and earn an 80 or higher on the elementary algebra portion of the test and a 101 or higher on the college level math portion. Visit the Math Center website for Accuplacer information.
  • Take the math prerequisites over the summer. Visit our Summer Session website for scheduling information about summer classes.

Admitted Students

Class Placement

Once accepted you should review your class placement information and take the Accuplacer, if necessary, for placement into the correct Math sequence.

Remember, engineering students must be enrolled in calculus (Math 181) before they can declare a specific engineering major. If you are not calculus (MATH 181) ready and you choose engineering, you will be classified as and undeclared engineering major.

Enrolling in WebCampus

You will receive an email from a College of Engineering Advisor with instructions on enrolling in our pre-orientation WebCampus course. Enrolling in WebCampus is a necessary step to ensure you are getting all the important information necessary for your academic success.


Attending an orientation is mandatory. Orientation before classes start will give you an introduction to campus life, academic programs and services. It will also be your chance to meet your academic advisors and get your questions answered about your first semester as an engineering student.

First Semester, Fall Schedule

If you pay the advanced registration fee, you will be enrolled in your first semester courses by Admissions and Records Office prior to orientation. You will get advised at summer orientation, at which time your advising hold will be removed. After your hold is removed, you will be able to access and modify your first semester course enrollment using MyNEVADA. In all other semesters, you will be responsible for enrolling in your own courses.

How to choose an engineering major

The College of Engineering doesn't offer a general engineering degree. That means you'll need to select one of our eight engineering majors in order to begin making progress toward graduation. The sooner you declare a major, the sooner you can get started taking the classes required to graduate.

What if I don't know what I want to major in?

That's what we're here for. It's okay if you don't know which engineering major is right for you -- and it's okay if you decide you need to switch your major. Changing majors often means it will take you longer to graduate, but finding an engineering major that excites you can help you lay the foundation for a fulfilling and satisfying career as an engineer.

If you need help getting started, check out these resources on choosing a major.

You can also explore engineering majors online at  or The College Board.

Declaring a major 

Once you have decided on a major, you will need to complete the Change of Major form (available on Academic Central website) and return it to the Advising Center.

Take the next step...