Winter Injury Prevention Tips
Protect yourself from slips, trips and falls.
- Wear appropriate footwear with non-slip soles on wet, icy, or snowy days.
- Be aware of and prepare for ice on walkways, stairs and parking lots
- Watch carefully for “black ice”—especially at night, on cleared areas and between cars.
- Walk slowly, slide your feet and avoid turning sharply when you walk on slippery surfaces.
- Brace and balance yourself on other cars, walls or stationary objects.
- Keep your hands and arms free for proper balance when possible.
- Hold onto the railing when using outdoor stairways.
- Be especially careful when carrying packages, equipment, materials, etc.
- Wipe your feet when entering a building so that your wet soles won’t cause you to slip on indoor flooring.
- If you slip and start to fall, limit your injuries by bending your elbows and knees and using your legs and arms to absorb the fall.
- Warn fellow co-workers about particularly slippery conditions on a given day.
- Report unsafe conditions on high traffic walkways when you observe them by calling (775) 784-8020 or fill-out an online work order.
Report any injuries immediately and complete a Notice of Injury Form (C-1)