Master of Arts in Elementary Education
- More Info: Visit the general course catalog
The MA program provides an opportunity for practicing K-8 teachers to focus on advanced study of pedagogy, curriculum development, and content in elementary and middle school settings. The focus is on teacher leadership. Emphases for the MA include social studies education or curriculum studies. Thesis and non-thesis options are available.
Entry to a graduate program at the University of Nevada, Reno requires applicants to apply to the program and to the Graduate School. Go here to apply to the Graduate School.
- Completed application for program
- Statement of educational philosophy and goals for the degree
- Signed disposition sheet
- Two letters of recommendation (will accept the graduate school on-line recommendations). At least one recommendation must be from a supervisor who has directly observed the applicant's work with children. The other recommendation may be from an employer who has directly supervised the applicant's work experiences. Recommendations should provide detailed descriptions of professional qualities and potential for teaching.
Applications are accepted on-going, but are reviewed twice a year with deadlines of October 1 and March 1.
Regular admission requires a minimum overall GPA from bachelor’s degree of 2.75 (or last half of 3.0.) The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required by the Graduate School if the overall GPA is below 2.75.
A Prescribed Program for the first 12 credits of course work may be offered to students who do not meet regular admissions requirements. Please consult a faculty advisor for details.
The Master of Arts (M.A.) and Master of Science (M.S.) degrees focus on the application of theory in curriculum, teaching, and learning with an emphasis on research. A minimum of 36 credits, with 15 credits at the 700 level are required. A professional project, portfolio, professional paper and/or thesis will be required for completion of the degree. The specific area of emphasis determines the designation of either M.A. or M.S.
Related Degrees and Programs
- Master of Arts in Elementary Education
- Master of Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Elementary Education
Contact College of Education
(775) 784-4345 (Main)
(775) 784-4298 (Advising Center)
|Location||William J Raggio Building|
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557