skip to main content

Counseling Programs FAQ's

How do I apply to the program?

For admittance to the program, you will need to submit the following:

  1. Resume
  2. Letter of interest / Personal Statement
    • This letter should clearly state your preference for the MFT or school track in counseling. It should describe your process in deciding to become a counselor, and any paraprofessional counseling experience you have.
  3. Three Letters of recommendation
    • Professional letters should come from people who can attest to your ability to successfully complete the academic rigors of the program. Letters should also address your intrapersonal and interpersonal skills as these are important skills for the counseling profession. These can be paper letters or you can use the form from the UNR graduate school web site.
  4. All official transcripts
  5. GRE scores
    • Please send all materials to the graduate school. When you have submitted your materials to the graduate school, you will be able to see if materials have been received and to manage your application. Please note: We are unable to consider incomplete applications.

When are the admissions deadlines?

The admission deadline is February 1st. All application materials are due to the graduate school by February 1st. We offer Fall admissions only. The February deadline is for the Fall of that year.

What is the admittance schedule/are there interviews?

Applications are reviewed about the middle of February. Applicants who are invited for an interview are called in late February/early March. Notification of acceptance should be sent within two weeks of the interview.

How many applicants are accepted?

The number of applicants accepted depends on the number of students graduating, the number of students applying, and faculty resources. Within our accreditation requirements, we accept as many qualified applicants as we can.

What GRE score do I need?

Your GRE scores should be within the 60% percentile. We are unable to give an exact number as we look at the entire candidate, not just a GRE or GPA score. Grades, GRE scores, interpersonal communications, genuineness, appropriateness for the profession, commitment to the profession (para counseling), and knowledge of our program and licensing are all considered in our review process.

Where can I get information about taking the GRE?

You will need to find a testing center near you. Please use the following link to find a GRE testing location in Reno.

What is para counseling?

Para counseling is exposure to the counseling profession from the counseling side, not as a client. We would like to see evidence of interest and commitment to the counseling field through volunteer work or previous work experience. Evidence of counseling experience is required of all successful applicants.

How many credits is the program?

  • The Marriage and Family Therapy program is 65 credits
  • The School Counseling program is 48 credits

How long does it take to finish the program?

  • The Marriage and Family Therapy program takes approximately 3 years (including summers) of full time enrollment. If you would like to go slower, you will need to determine how you will work course progression as you cannot take courses out of order.
  • The School Counseling program takes approximately 2 or 2 ½ years (including summers) of full time enrollment.

What degree will I earn at the end of the program?

Upon completion of the program, you will earn a Masters of Arts (MA) in either Marriage and Family Therapy or School Counseling, depending on which track you complete.

When do I start my program?

All programs begin in the fall semester.

Do I take classes year-round?

Yes. In an effort to improve learning, and to offer the richest program possible, our students work through the programs in a cohort group and all students take courses in order. Please note that being a year-round program means that some courses are only offered in summer.

Can I start taking courses before I am formally admitted into the program?

Yes, you can begin taking courses before you are formally admitted into the program. To do this you would need to go to the UNR Graduate School website and apply as a graduate special. You can take up to 3 courses (9 credits) as a graduate special.

The courses you can take as a graduate special are the following:

  • CEP 674
  • CEP 650
  • CEP 705
  • EDRS 700

If you would like to take a course not on this list, you will need special approval for it to count towards your degree.

Please Note Well: There are some challenges to taking courses as a graduate special. There is no guarantee of admittance because you have taken course work. In addition, our courses are ordered in a developmentally appropriate way for you to get the most out of each course. If you take courses out of sequence, this may affect the number of courses available to you in the following semesters. For example, if you take CEP 674 as a graduate special, when the semester comes where that class would usually go, it is your responsibility to determine if you need to take another course (for financial aid, for example). Taking courses as a graduate special may lead you to have semesters where you are taking minimal classes. The graduate school requires you to be enrolled in a minimum of 3 graduate credits to maintain good graduate standing, so “stopping out” for a semester with no coursework is not a possibility.

I can't go to school year-round. Do you have an on-line program?

We do not have an online counseling program.

Is there some type of exam I will need to take when I graduate?

In your last long semester in the program (fall or spring), you will be required to enroll in the comprehensive exam course (CEP 795). The requirements for this course are to submit a DVD of you doing a counseling session and to take the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination (CPCE). Registration for the course and the exam happen separately. You will be given detailed information about the test and other graduation requirements as you progress through the program.

Can I practice Marriage and Family Therapy when I graduate?

When you graduate, you will apply to the Nevada board of Marriage and Family and Clinical Professional Counselors. When you apply, they will review your transcripts, letters of recommendation and other materials. Upon approval, they will grant you internship status as an MFT-I. With this, you can begin acquiring the 3,000 hours towards licensure.

After a certain point in the internship process, you will be allowed to sit for the National Marriage and Family Therapists exam. When you pass the national exam and complete your internship, you will be granted a Marriage and Family Therapists’ license. Your MFT-Internship can be paid. For more detailed information, please see the Nevada Board’s website

If you would like to be licensed in California, you will need to contact the California Board to get specific information.

When are enrollment, registration, financial aid, and other deadlines?

Are there graduate or teaching assistantships through your program?

Our program does not offer graduate or teaching assistantships to Master’s students. Other programs on campus do, however. You can find information about student employment here:

Take the next step...