Dr James M. Henson
Associate Professor of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
MS 0260, University of Nevada, Reno, NV 89557
- Ph.D. 1991 University of Arkansas
- MS 1988 University of Arkansas
- BS 1984, University of Arkansas
- Dr. Jim Henson’s research interests include image and signal processing – as applied to high resolution military imaging radar systems and system simulation. In 2007 he developed (as a consultant) a 3D imaging radar simulation to support the US Military HALS/Sandblaster radar system.
- Since joining the UNR Electrical Engineering Department in the fall of 1991 he has acted as PI on over 1.25 Million in externally funded competitive (no earmark) federal and private research contracts.
- He has worked on research for International Game Technology (and subsequently, the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing / US Treasury Department) on techniques involving the detection, recognition, and deterrence of counterfeit US and international paper currencies.
- In March of 2009, Dr. Henson was granted a US Patent involving ISAR based two dimensional radar array antennas for the formation of 3D radar imagery.
- He currently has two US patents pending at the USPTO which involve new methods for the creation of covert media. Dr. Henson is also working with NTSPress on the development of new types of instructional materials for EE undergraduate curricula. Before coming to UNR he worked for Martin Marietta Aerospace (now Lockheed Martin) in the area of automatic target detection and recognition for airborne FLIR video imagery.
- Dr. Henson also holds several degrees in English Writing and has had original poetry publications in the New Yorker Magazine, The Paris Review, and other literary journals.
- He has served as NSHE DEPSCoR Director and as the Associate Chair for the Department of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering. Dr. Henson currently serves as the the Undergraduate Fellowsip Coordinator as well as the Director of the Engineering Physics Program.
- EE 120 Introduction to Electrical Engineering (Spring)
- EE 492G/692G Digital Image Processing (Spring)
- EE 362 Signals and Sysstems (Fall)
- EE 480/680 Digital Signal Processing (Fall)
James M. Henson
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
University of Nevada, Reno
Phone: 775 784 6929
Fax: 775 784 6627