Committee on the Status of Women
What is the CSW?
The Committee on the Status of Women (CSW) is composed of faculty, staff, and students who are concerned with gender equity on campus. The CSW was originally authorized by the Board of Regents, and the committee reports to the President through the Special Assistant to the President for Diversity.
As a committee, we take on projects that address the concerns of women on campus, and provide support and networking opportunities of UNR women.
The mission of the CSW is to identify and communicate the issues and concerns of women faculty, staff, and students regarding their experiences in, and expectations of, the university.
- To ensure that the issues and concerns of women are communicated appropriately
- To provide opportunities for networking and the development of support systems for women
- To ensure that gender is not a barrier to full participation by women in the academic, professional, social and cultural life of the university
How do I get involved?
Join the committee! CSW meets monthly during the academic year. There are also subcommittees that have a more selected focus topic, such the Women's Center, Safety, Lactation Room(s), Day Care, Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, and Women in Medicine.
Who to contact?
Committee Chair: Deborah A Verstegen, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: (775) 682-9095
Web contacts: Michelle Rachal, email: email@example.com and Katherine Dirk, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recent CSW Projects
- The most recent WAGE Project Start Workshop, which provides graduating and graduate students with the knowledge and skills to learn their worth and negotiate their starting salary and benefit package, took place on April 5, 2013.
- Co-sponsored Nevada Attorney General Cortez Masto's talk on "Prevention of Campus Violence" that took place on October 16, 2012.
- The CSW assisted in setting up a Lactation Room for all nursing mothers in the University community. The Lactation Room is in the Edward J Cain building, and can be scheduled through WebCampus.
- The CSW researched and prepared a substantial report on how the budget crisis is affecting women students, staff and faculty at UNR. The report was presented to the Provost.
- The CSW has also negotiated enhancements to safety on campus: improved lighting and walkways, extended hours for the campus escort service, and scheduling personal safety and self-defense classes.
Calendar or Upcoming Events
Committee meeting (Fall schedule to come), 3:45-5 p.m., WRB 2007 (Education Building)
- University Administrative Manual, Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
- Lactation Room Information
- Work and Family Taskforce
- University Administrative Manual, Support of Breastfeeding Employees
- University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, Children, Youth and Families publications
Student Services Division, Resources for Women
- University of Nevada Reno, Gender, Race and Identity Program
- Nevada Women's Archives
- University of Nevada Reno, Women in Science and Engineering
- Nevada Women's History Project
- The Student Health Center, Women's Services
- University of Nevada School of Medicine, Women in Medicine