Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Nursing Major Application and Admission Guidelines
OSN Process and Procedures for student application and selection to the nursing major
All applicants must adhere to the following criteria:
- Be officially admitted to the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) as a declared pre-nursing major and possess a NSHE ID number. Students who are not currently active or enrolled at the University of Nevada, Reno will need to reapply. UNR application fee may apply.
- In order for all official transcripts to be evaluated and to ensure applicants have met program prerequisites; new or transfer students must apply to the University of Nevada, Reno and have all official transcripts sent the semester prior to applying for the nursing major.
- Have submitted and finalized all transfer credits which appear on the student's unofficial transcript report in My Nevada. All pre-requisite courses and in progress courses must appear on the report. If you have taken or are taking courses from another school(s) you must have official transcripts sent to UNR admissions. This will provide documentation and list the course as in progress. Once the course is completed you will need to submit an updated official transcript with grade/credits earned. The OSN department must be able to verify that all prerequisite courses are completed by July 18, 2014.
- Have no more than 13 pre-requisite credits outstanding or in progress with a grade no lower than "C" during the current semester before entering the nursing major. Of the 13 credits in progress no more than 4 credits may be science credits (includes CHEM and BIOL lecture and lab courses not NUTR 223).
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA or better on the selected pre-nursing coursework.
- If English is not your Native language, you will need to take the TSE or SPEAK test. A score ≥ 55 must be obtained for admission to the major. Scores must be submitted with your application. Please contact the Intensive English Language Center at UNR to schedule your speak test.
- Submit the attached application form with your current permanent address (notification of acceptance and other correspondence will be sent to this address). Please attach the completed Nursing Prerequisite GPA Calculator (Excel file) and a copy of your My Nevada Unofficial Transcript Report and Transfer Credit Report. Applications are not complete without calculator, academic reports, and signatures.
- Applicants must meet with their advisor prior to submitting the application. Applications will not be accepted without the student and advisor's signature
- Selection to the nursing major is accomplished by a rank order list of qualified applicants based on the pre-nursing major GPA, OSN established preferences, and the applicants individual interview (see OSN website for additional information regarding admission selection criteria).
- Selected applicants will be notified for interviews.
- After completion of selection to the nursing major, 64 students will be sent a letter of acceptance. All selected students must reply to this letter to secure their official enrollment in the nursing major by the designated date.
- Letters of non-acceptance will also be sent. Students may reapply during the next application period.
If you have questions regarding the application or the information requested please make an appointment to see your advisor or email Janita Ethridge (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Orvis School of Nursing.