- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Texas at Dallas, 2008
- M.S., Computer Science and Engineering, Southern Methodist University, 2004
- B.S., Computer Science and Engineering, Isik University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2002
- B.S., Electronics Engineering, Isik University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2002
Mehmet Hadi Gunes is currently and Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno. He received M.S. degree from Computer Science and Engineering Department of Southern Methodist University in 2004 and Ph.D. degree from Computer Science Department of the University of Texas at Dallas in 2008. His research has been funded by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute of Justice. He has published over 50 papers at peer-reviewed journals and conference/workshop proceedings. He has served on the program committees of several international conferences and NSF panels.
- Communications: network protocols, health systems, smart grid communications
- Complex networks: biological networks, social networks, information networks, graph data mining, network visualization
- Internet measurements: Internet topology, Internet modeling, network sampling, synthetic graph generation
- Network security: anonymizer technologies, communication privacy, secure cloud, smart grid security
- Hakan Kardes, Abdullah Sevincer, Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Murat Yuksel "Complex Network Analysis of Research Funding: A Case Study of NSF Grants", Social Network Analysis and Mining (SNAM) (to appear). (earlier version presented at IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2012), Istanbul, Turkey, 26-29 Aug, 2012)
- BingDong Li, Esra Erdin, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, George Bebis, and Todd Shipley, "An Overview of Anonymity Technology Usage", Computer Communications, 36(12): 1269-1283, 2013. (earlier version presented at 3rd COST TMA International Workshop on Traffic Monitoring and Analysis, Vienna, Austria, April 27, 201)
- BingDong Li, Jeff Springer, George Bebis, and Mehmet Hadi Gunes, "A Survey of Network Flow Applications", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 36(2):567-581, 2013
- Andrew Dittrich, Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Sergiu Dascalu "Network Analysis of Software Repositories: Identifying Subject Matter Experts", Studies in Computational Intelligence: Complex Networks 424:187-198, 2013. (presented at 3rd Workshop on Complex Networks, Melbourne, FL, Mar 7-9, 2012)
- Daniel Ramos, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, Donica Mensing and David M. Ryfe "Mapping Emerging News Networks: A Case Study of the San Francisco Bay Area", Studies in Computational Intelligence: Complex Networks 424:237-244, 2013. (presented at 3rd Workshop on Complex Networks, Melbourne, FL, Mar 7-9, 2012)
- Mehmet Burak Akgun and Mehmet Hadi Gunes "Impact of Multi-Access Links on the Internet Topology Modeling", IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS 2013), San Francisco, CA, Aug 14-16, 2013.
- BingDong Li, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, George Bebis and Jeff Springer, "A Supervised Machine Learning Approach to Classify Host Roles Using sFlow", ACM HPDC Workshop on High Performance and Programmable Networking (HPPN) , New York City, NY, June 18, 2013.
- Mehmet Burak Akgun and Mehmet Hadi Gunes "Bipartite Internet Topology at the Subnet-level", IEEE International Workshop on Network Science (NSW 2013), West Point, NY, 29 Apr - 1 May 2013.
- Hasan Tarik Karaoglu, Mehmet Burak Akgun, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, and Murat Yuksel "Multi Path Considerations for Anonymized Routing: Challenges and Opportunities", IFIP International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security, Istanbul, Turkey, May 7-10, 2012.
- David Shelley and Mehmet Hadi Gunes, "GerbilSphere: Inner Sphere Network Visualization", ComNet Complex Dynamic Networks: Tools and Methods, 56(3):1016–1028, Feb 2012.
- Hakan Kardes, Talha Oz, and Mehmet Hadi Gunes "Cheleby: A Subnet-level Internet Topology Mapping System", 4th International Conference on COMmunication Systems and NETworkS (COMSNETS), Banglore, India, Jan 3-7, 2012.
- Jeffrey Naruchitparames, Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Sushil Louis, "Friend Recommendations in Social Networks using Genetic Algorithms and Network Topology", IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, New Orleans, LA, June 5-8, 2011.
- Jeffrey Naruchitparames, Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Cansin Y. Evrenosoglu, "Secure Communications in the Smart Grid", IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference Session on Smart Grids, Las Vegas, NV, Jan 9-12, 2011.
- Hema Andal Jayaprakash Narayanan and Mehmet Hadi Gunes, "Ensuring Access Control in Cloud Provisioned Healthcare Systems", IEEE International Workshop on Consumer eHealth Platforms, Services and Applications, Las Vegas, NV, Jan 8, 2011.
- Adrienne E. Breland, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, Karen A. Schlauch, and Frederick C. Harris "Mixing Patterns in a Global Influenza A Virus Network Using Whole Genome Comparisons", IEEE Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (CIBCB 2010), Montreal, Canada, May 2-5, 2010.
- Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Cansin Y. Evrenosoglu, "Blind Processing: Securing Data Against System Administrators", IFIP/IEEE NOMS International Workshop on Management of Smart Grids, Osaka, Japan, April 23, 2010.
- Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Kamil Sarac, "Resolving IP aliases in Building Traceroute-Based Internet Maps", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 17(6):1738-1751, Dec 2009. (earlier version presented at IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2006), Istanbul, TURKEY, 11-15 June 2006
- Kakajan Komurov, Mehmet Hadi Gunes, and Michael A. White, "Fine-scale dissection of functional protein network organization by statistical network analysis", PLoS ONE 4(6), June 2009.
- Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Kamil Sarac, "Resolving Anonymous Routers in Internet Topology Measurement Studies", IEEE INFOCOM, Phoenix, AZ, April 15-17 2008.
- Mehmet Hadi Gunes and Kamil Sarac, "Inferring Subnets in Router-level Topology Collection Studies", ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement conference (IMC 2007), San Diego, CA, Oct 24-26 2007.