Professor and Chair
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Central Florida, 1996
- M.S, Computer Science, University of Crete, 1991
- B.S, Mathematics, University of Crete, 1983
George Bebis is currently a Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) and Director of the UNR Computer Vision Laboratory (CVL). Prior to joining UNR, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL). His research has been funded by NSF, NASA, ONR, NIJ, and Ford Motor Company. Dr. Bebis is an Associate Editor of the Machine Vision and Applications journal and serves on the editorial boards of the International Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools and the Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering: Imaging and Visualization journal. He has served on the program committees of various national and international conferences and has organized and chaired several conference sessions. In 2002, he received the Lemelson Award for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
- Computer vision
- Image processing
- Pattern recognition
- Machine learning
- Evolutionary computing
Selected and recent publications
- M. Jaberi, G. Bebis, M. Hussain, and G. Muhammad, Accurate and Robust Localization of Duplicated Region in Copy-Move Image Forgery", Machine Vision and Applications, (accepted; to appear in 2013).
- S. Yang, G. Bebis, M. Hussain, G. Muhammad, and A. Mirza, Unsupervised Discovery of Visual Face Categories", International Journal of Artificial Intelligence Tools, vol. 22, no. 1, 2013.
- L. Loss, G. Bebis, and B. Parvin, "Iterative Tensor Voting for Perceptual Grouping of Ill-Defined Curvilinear Structures", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1503-1513, 2011.
- J. Wang, G. Bebis, Mircea Nicolescu, Monica Nicolescu, and R. Miller, "Improving Target Detection by Coupling It with Tracking", Machine Vision and Applications, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 205-223, 2009.
- T. Uz, G. Bebis, A. Erol, and S. Prabhakar, "Minutiae-Based Template Synthesis and Matching for Fingerprint Authentication", Computer Vision and Image Understanding (CVIU), vol 113, pp. 979-992, 2009.
- G. Amayeh, G. Bebis, A. Erol, and M. Nicolescu, "Hand-Based Verification and Identification Using Palm-Finger Segmentation and Fusion", Computer Vision and Image Understanding (CVIU) vol 113, pp. 477-501, 2009.
- W. Li, G. Bebis, and N. Bourbakis, "3D Object Recognition Using 2D Views", IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2236-2255, 2008.
- A. Erol, G. Bebis, M. Nicolescu, R. Boyle, X. Twombly, "Vision-Based Hand Pose Estimation: A Review", Computer Vision and Image Understanding (CVIU) (special issue on Vision for Human-Computer Interaction), vol. 108, no. 1-2, pp. 52-73, October/November 2007.
- G. Bebis, A. Gyaourova, S. Singh, and I. Pavlidis, "Face Recognition by Fusing Thermal Infrared and Visible Imagery", Image and Vision Computing, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 727-742, 2006.
- Z. Sun, G. Bebis, and R. Miller, "On-road Vehicle Detection: A review", IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 694-711, 2006.
- Z. Sun, G. Bebis, and R. Miller, "Monocular Pre-crash Vehicle Detection: Features and Classifiers", IEEE Transactions on Image Processing , vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 2019-2034, July 2006.
- Z. Sun, G. Bebis, and R. Miller, "On-Road Vehicle Detection Using Evolutionary Gabor Filter Optimization ", IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 125-137, 2005.
- Z. Sun, G. Bebis, and R. Miller, "Object Detection Using Feature Subset Selection", Pattern Recognition, vol. 37, pp. 2165-2176, 2004.
- CS302 - Data Structures
- CS485/685 - Computer Vision
- CS 201 - Computer Science I
- CS791Y - Topics in Computer Vision
- CS480/680 - Computer Graphics
- CS 479/679 Pattern Recognition
- CS 477/677 - Analysis of Algorithms
- CS791S - Neural Networks
- CS491Q/790Q - SEM: Machine Learning (Biometrics)
- CS491Y/791Y Mathematical Methods for Computer Vision
- CS365 - Mathematics of Computer Science
- CS474/674 - Image Processing and Interpretation
- CS773C - Machine Intelligence (Object Recognition)