skip to main content

Accelerated BS/MS Program

Students can pursue an accelerated BS/MS program in computer science and engineering. Students have the option of choosing a thesis or non-thesis  track for the master's degree portion of the program.

Admission Requirements

  • At least 75 credits toward bachelor's degree completed
  • Basic science courses completed
  • At least 30 credits of engineering science or design coursework completed (minimum of 24 of these at the University of Nevada, Reno)
  • Minimum 3.2 GPA
  • Faculty advisor selected for M.S. degree

Application deadlines

Timeline for Accelerated Program
Select graduate advisor Prior to submitting your program application
Apply to program After completing 75 credits toward your B.S. (typically, spring of junior year)
Take GRE Before or during fall of your senior year
Apply to Graduate School During senior year

Program requirements

To enable students to earn both degrees in five years, the accelerated BS/MS program allows you to take up to six credits of technical electives for your bachelor's degree as 600-level graduate courses. These courses may also be applied to your master's degree, provided you receive a B or better.

The 600-level courses you select for this purpose must be approved by the department, your graduate advisor and the Graduate School. You can complete up to nine credits of graduate work before entering the Graduate School. Specific course and thesis requirements for the master's degree will be determined with the help of your graduate advisor.

The Graduate School requires students to maintain an average GPA of 3.0 in all courses applied to the master's degree. The College of Engineering requires all students participating in the accelerated program to maintain a GPA of 3.2  or higher in required courses.

If your GPA drops below 3.2, you will be placed on academic probation for one semester, which allows you to raise your GPA to 3.2 or higher and return to good standing. If you are unable to do so, you will be removed from the program. Students who are removed from the accelerated program can continue to pursue a bachelor's and master's degree under the normal requirements.

Financial impact

In most cases, 12 units of undergraduate credit are required to be eligible for undergraduate financial aid. Graduate courses do not count during this requirement.

To maintain financial aid eligibility, students should make sure they are taking at least 12 undergraduate credits in addition to any 600-level courses.

Additionally, students must pay graduate credit tuition for the 600-level tuition. Not all scholarships can be used for graduate credit, but some financial support may be available through the graduate program.

We recommend you consult with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships if you have any questions about your financial aid eligibility.

Take the next step...