The mission of the department is to advance the frontiers of computer science and engineering, to produce qualified individuals in the discipline, and to reach out both within and beyond the university to apply computer science and engineering solutions to technical and societal problems.
To accomplish this mission, the department seeks to:
- Educate and produce outstanding BS, MS, and Ph.D. graduates with cutting edge knowledge about computing and who are able to learn and lead throughout their careers.
- Perform basic and applied research in computing and information technology that advances our knowledge about computing and its applications.
- Apply computer science and engineering solutions to challenges in other disciplines and support multidisciplinary efforts.
- Engage in service and outreach to enrich the community, state, and profession.
- Establish viable corporate and external partnerships to help identify problems and solutions and facilitate transfer of knowledge.