Our department offers a wide range of research opportunities in renewable energy research, with faculty working in areas such as solar power, biomass, biofuels and energy storage.
Ongoing research in the department includes a project to transform wastewater sludge into energy, research into new catalytic conversion materials and processes to produce eco-friendly fuels and chemicals, and the development of new materials for solar energy conversion.
Labs and Equipment
- Primary contacts: Dev Chidambaram, Charles Coronella and Hongfei Lin
- Major focus: Production of biofuels from waste
Catalysis for Sustainability
- Primary contact: Hongfei Lin
- Major focus: Heterogeneous catalysis, biomass conversion, green chemicals and advanced functional materials
- Primary contact: Ravi Subramanian
- Major focus: Screening and optimizing materials for light-activated reactions with applications in photovoltaics, environmental cleanup, green fuel synthesis, light-mediated biological processes and CO2 control
Solar and Hydrogen Laboratory
- Primary contact: Dev Chidambaram and Ghassan Jabbour
- Major focus: Hydrogen generation from water utilizing sunlight