Dr. Dev Chidambaram
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2003
- M.S., Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2001
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2000
- B.Tech., Chemical and Electrochemical Engineering, Central Electrochemical Research Institute, India, 1998
- Biofunctional & biohybrid materials
- Environmental remediation
- Corrosion science
- Surface analysis
Relevant past experience
- Principal Investigator, co-PI, and senior researcher on a variety of projects relating to corrosion protection, bioenergy, development of novel materials, and environmental remediation
- Intellectual property development for applications of microbial electron transfer stemming from research conducted as PI at the Department of Energy's Brookhaven National Laboratory
- August 2009–Present: Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering. University of Nevada, Reno, NV
- October 2004–August 2009: Brookhaven National Laboratory. Upton, NY
- May 2009: Promoted to Associate Materials Scientist, effective October 2009
- October 2007–August 2009: Assistant Materials Scientist (Environmental Sciences)
- March 2007–August 2010: Spokesperson–Beamline X11, National Synchrotron Light Source (NSLS)
- October 2004–September 2007: Goldhaber Distinguished Fellow (Environmental Sciences)
- February 2004–September 2004: Post-doctoral associate, Materials Science and Engineering. State University of New York at Stony Brook.
Awards and fellowships
- The Hans-Jürgen Engell Prize–awarded annually by the International Society for Electrochemistry (ISE) to a young electrochemist on the basis of published work (Received September 2006).
- Goldhaber Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship (2004-2007)–Prestigious fellowship awarded by Brookhaven National Laboratory to select few recent doctoral graduates showing promise of qualifying for scientific staff position at the laboratory. (Three awarded in 2004).
- Morris Cohen Award–This award is given by the Electrochemical Society (ECS) in recognition of outstanding graduate research, conducted in the previous two years (2005).
- Lindau Nobel Laureates Foundation–Chosen to attend the 55th Meeting of the Nobel Laureates in Lindau, Germany. Nearly 600 young researchers were selected from over 10,000; nominations to attend the valuable and inspiring meeting. Over 50 Nobel laureates participated in the 2nd interdisciplinary meeting (2005).
- President's Distinguished Doctoral Dissertation Award–Highest recognition given by the State University of New York at Stony Brook signifying the outstanding merit of the dissertation and its research base (2004). Five outstanding dissertations receive the award (of dissertations accepted by the university in the preceding year) each year.
- D. Chidambaram, Y. Liu and M. Rafailovich, ‘Encapsulated Microbes in Cross-linkable Polymers'–a process for encapsulating microorganisms in polymeric fibers while ensuring their survival to use them as bioactive materials, U.S. Patent US8367109 B2. Issued 02-05-2013
- D. Chidambaram and A. J. Francis, ‘Extracellular Bioreduction'–a process for bioremediation and wastewater treatment; U.S. Patent 8,158,399. Issued 2012-04-17.
- D. Chidambaram, ‘Enhanced Metabolite Generation'–a process for enhancing the production of biofuels and other microbial fermentation products; U.S. Patent 8,143,020. Issued 2012-03-20.
Selected & Recent Publications
- Y. Liu, M. H. Rafailovich, R. Malal, D. Cohn, and D. Chidambaram*, ‘Engineering of bio-hybrid materials by electrospinning polymer-microbe fibers',Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106, 34, 14201 (2009).
- D. F. Roeper and D. Chidambaram, ‘Development and Characterization of an Environmentally Friendly Coating to Protect Depleted Uranium - 0.75 WT. % Titanium Alloy', Book Chapter in Uranium: Compounds, Isotopes and Applications, Ed. G. H. Wolfe. Hauppauge, NY, Nova Publishers: 1-44. (2009). ISBN: 9781606925737
- A. Johnson, G. Merilis, J. Hastings, M. E. Palmer, J. P. Fitts, and D. Chidambaram, ‘Degradation of Organic Dyes using Nanotechnology and Microbial Electrochemistry', Journal of the Electrochemical Society
- D. Chidambaram, T. Hennebel, S. Taghavi, J. Mast, N. Boon, W. Verstraete, D. van der Lelie, J. P. Fitts, ‘Concomitant Microbial Generation of Palladium Nanoparticles and Hydrogen to Immobilize Chromate', Environmental Science & Technology, 44, 7635 (2010).
- D. F. Roeper, D. Chidambaram, C. R. Clayton, and G. P. Halada, Development of an Environmentally-Friendly Protective Coating for the Depleted Uranium-0.75 wt.% Titanium Alloy Part V: Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy of the Coating, Electrochimica Acta, 53, 5, 2130 (2008).
- D. Chidambaram, C. R. Clayton and G. P. Halada, The Role of Hexafluorozirconate in the Formation of Chromate Conversion Coatings on Aluminum Alloys,Electrochimica Acta, 51, 14, 2862 (2006).
- D. Chidambaram, G. P. Halada, and C. R. Clayton, Spectroscopic Elucidation of the Repassivation of Active Sites on Aluminum by Chromate Conversion Coating, Solid State and Electrochemical Letters, 7, 9, B31 (2004).
- D. Chidambaram, G. P. Halada, and C. R. Clayton, Synchrotron Radiation Based Grazing Angle Infrared Spectroscopy of Chromate Conversion Coatings Formed on Aluminum Alloys, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 151, 3, B160 (2004).
- D. Chidambaram, C. R. Clayton, and M. Dorfman, Evaluation of the Electrochemical Behavior of HVOF-Sprayed Alloy Coatings, Surface & Coatings Technology,176, 3, 307 (2004).
- D. Chidambaram, G. P. Halada and C. R. Clayton, Development of a technique to prevent radiation damage of chromate conversion coatings during X-ray photoelectron spectroscopic analysis, Applied Surface Science, 181 (3-4), 183-195 (2001).
- D. Chidambaram and G. P. Halada, Infrared microspectroscopic studies on the pitting of AA2024-T3 induced by acetone degreasing, Surface and Interface Analysis, 31 (11), 1056-1059 (2001).
- D. Chidambaram, N. Sharma, S. Natarajan and C. N. R. Rao, Open-framework zinc phosphates synthesized in the presence of structure-directing organic amines, Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 147 (1), 154-169 (1999).
- D. Chidambaram and S. Natarajan, Synthesis and structure of a new open-framework zinc phosphate: Zn-3(PO4)(2)(HPO4)(0.5) (-)0.5 (NH3(CH2)(2)(NH3) 2+H2O,Materials Research Bulletin 33 (8), 1275-1281 (1998).