Studying Harp Performance at UNR
Check the Department of Music's Events Calendar for upcoming events.
- B.A., B.M., M.A.,M.M., Minor in Harp performance is also available.
- Direct your questions concerning the Harp Program at UNR to Marina Roznitovsky Oster.
Students (majors and non-majors) are not required to have their own instruments, unless they wish to perform outside of the music school. UNR music department owns 4 harps, which are available for student practice 24 hrs/day in Church Fine Arts Building.
Auditions & Financial Aid
Financial Aid is available for new students who successfully pass the auditions. Please contact Marina Roznitovsky Oster to set up a harp audition. Audition by DVD is possible for students who are not able to audition in person.
Current financial aid audition requirements, as well as deadlines for auditions for all music majors and minors, can be found on the Audition Information page.
Harp Audition Repertoire:
- Prepare 2 contrasting works from the standard harp solo repertoire. One of the pieces can be a concerto movement.
- Prepare 2 standard orchestral harp excerpts of your choosing (1 excerpt is required for harp minors).
- A short sight reading excerpt will be a part of the audition.
- Provide the audition committee with 2 clean copies of the above chosen works.
- Alert the Department if you wish to use one of the Department's harps.
The harp program at UNR includes participation in:
- Annual Concerto Competition
- Master Classes (regular master classes, plus at least one visiting artist per year)
- Chamber music (required for harp majors)
- Harp ensembles (required)
- Orchestras (required for harp majors)
- Wind Ensemble
- Concert Chorus
- Chamber Singers
- Jazz Ensembles
Many other opportunities are available off campus.
Do You Know Reno?
The University of Nevada Reno is located at the edge of the beautiful Sierra Nevada with the Great Basin Desert stretching eastward. The outdoors provide endless options for winter and summer activities. Reno is situated on the Truckee River and within driving distance of a large number of unique nature destinations, including Lake Tahoe, The Great Basin Desert Lassen National Volcanic Park, Yosemite National Park, Black Rock Desert, and the Redwood Forests of California.
- Tahoe Rim Trail
- Great Basin National Park
- Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Yosemite National Park
- Death Valley National Park
- Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
The Reno community has a surprisingly large number of professional musical organizations, including the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra, Reno Chamber Orchestra, Nevada Opera, and more. Reno also hosts many exciting annual events, such as The Great Reno Balloon Race, Hot August Nights, Street Vibrations, the Reno Rodeo, Artown and so much more.
- Reno Philharmonic Orchestra
- Reno Chamber Orchestra
- Nevada Opera Association
- Great Reno Balloon Race
- Reno Is Artown
- Nevada Museum of Art
If you like affordable living, more than 300 days of blue sky a year, being close to incredible nature, not much traffic and a great learning environment, UNR is the place for you.
Resources for Harpers & Harpists
- Harp ColumnAmerican Harp Journal
- American Harp Society
- World Harp Congress (WHC)
- Anderson Harp Insurance Group
- American String Teachers Association (ASTA)
- Directory of Harp Teachers
- Historical Harp Society
- International Society of Folk Harpers and Craftsmen (ISFHC)
- Music Teachers International Association (MTNA)
- National Association for Music Education (MENC)
- National Federation of Music Clubs (NFMC)
- University Music Clubs and Organizations
Important Department Links