Studying Flute Performance at UNR
- B.A., B.M., M.A.,M.M., Minor.
- Direct your questions concerning the Flute Program at UNR to Mary Miller.
Auditions & Financial Aid
The Department of Music at UNR encourages its students to apply for financial aid and music scholarships. For Freshmen and transfer students, financial aid is available for those who successfully pass the auditions (the funds are limited, offered until the funds are exhausted each year). Please contact Mary Miller to set up a flute audition. Audition by DVD is possible for students who are not able to audition in person.
Continuing undergraduate and graduate students can also apply for financial aid.Information can be found on the Financial Aid and Music Scholarship Information page.
Flute Audition Preparation:
- Flutists should prepare a single work or 2 contrasting movements totaling no more than 8 minutes which demonstrate technical proficiency, sound and phrasing. Candidates should also be prepared to perform major scales with common articulations. Works with piano accompaniment are encouraged. Provide the audition committee with 2 clean copies of the above chosen works.
Program Includes Ensemble Participation
The flute program at UNR offers opportunities for participation in a wide range of ensembles, both major and minor, with new ones emerging as students and faculty create and collaborate.
Many other opportunities are available off campus.
Resources for Flutists
- The National Flute Association
- British Flute Society (Pan, BFS's Journal)
- The History of the Flute
- Music Teachers International Association (MTNA)
- National Association for Music Education (MENC)
- National Federation of Music Clubs (NFMC)
- University Music Clubs and Organizations
Important Department Links