University Music Clubs and Organizations
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia is a national music fraternity for men. The Department of Music has an active collegiate chapter, Xi Delta. The Faculty Advisor for the Xi Delta Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia is Dr. A.G. McGrannahan, Emeritus Professor of Low Brass Studies. Dr. McGrannahan also serves as a Province Governor for that fraternity.
Sigma Alpha Iota is a national music fraternity for women. There exists a Reno Alumnae Chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota, Eta Omicron. From the Sigma Alpha Iota National Web site: "Sigma Alpha Iota accepts with pride the responsibilities and privileges of being a leader in the pursuit of music creation, performance and scholarship ...Members of SAI are active in all areas of campus music and campus life, working closely with faculty, administration, campus and community groups, music professionals and patrons. In addition to personal encouragement and support, members may receive scholarships, loans and awards in many areas and at all levels of music-related study."
American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) has a student chapter at UNR. ACDA is a national professional organization which focuses especially on the choral arts. Activities are planned and organized by student members and advised by faculty and graduate students. As a national organization, the ACDA "...is a nonprofit music-education organization whose central purpose is to promote excellence in choral music through performance, composition, publication, research, and teaching. In addition, ACDA strives through arts advocacy to elevate choral music's position in American society. " The local chapter personalizes the Association's mission by promoting choral music events at UNR.
For more information about ACDA, contact the Department of Choral Activities or visit the ACDA's national Web site .
Collegiate Music Educators National Conference (CMENC) has a student branch at UNR. With over 60,000 members, the National Association for Music Education has been in existence for over one hundred years. Its mission -- "to advance music education by encouraging the study and making of music by all" -- is based upon a profound philosophy. As CMENC's official Preamble states:
Music allows us to celebrate and preserve our cultural heritages, and also to explore the realms of expression, imagination, and creation resulting in new knowledge. Therefore, every individual should be guaranteed the opportunity to learn music and to share in musical experiences.
Facebook has many personal pages are associated with people who are connected in one way or another with the music scene at UNR and in Reno. There are also several group pages dedicated to specific areas of interest directly associated with the Department of Music at UNR. New pages are appearing on a regular basis. The links below have friends. Find more with a general search.
More Organizations for Specific Musical Interests
- American Bandmasters Association
- American Composers Forum
- American Guild for Organists
- American Harp Society
- American Musical Instrument Society
- American Musicological Association
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
- Association of Concert Bands
- Association for Technology in Music Instruction (ATMI)
- Chorus America
- College Band Directors Association
- Drum Corps International
- For The Love Of Jazz
- Freedom of Musical Expression (FREEMUSE)
- GALA Choruses
- International Alliance for Women in Music
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music
- International Clarinet Association
- International Computer Music Association
- International Council for Traditional Music (ICTM)
- International Native American and World Flute Association
- International Trombone Association
- International Tuba Euphonium Association
- Jazz Corner
- National Band Association
- Percussive Arts Society
- Piano Technicians Guild
- Society for American Music
- Society for Ethnomusicology
- Society for Music Theory
- The College Music Society
- The Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation
- The Music Notation Project
Music Performances at UNR
Faculty and student ensemble performances occur frequently througout each semester. Check the Department of Music Events Calendar for upcoming recitals and concerts.