Larry Engstrom, D.M.A.
- Office: CFA 129
- Phone: (775) 682-9039
Album Notes: The Collective ...proudly announces the release of its latest cd, Once And Again. Recorded in June 2007, Once And Again features trumpeter Larry Engstrom, pianist David Ake, bassist Hans Halt, drummer Andrew Heglund, and, saxophonist Peter Epstein. This recording displays all of the fire, versatility, and inventiveness that audiences throughout the West have come to expect of this unit.
Release Date: 2008 | ASIN: B0019BFHIO
Song Title Composer Time 1. Once and Again David Ake / Hans Halt 7:07 2. Email From Nigeria Peter Epstein 5:27 3. The Bridges David Ake 4:50 4. A Small Exception David Ake 4:04 5. Picture and Frame David Ake 3:21 6. Flyswatter Hans Halt 4:00 7. Ineluctable Modality Larry Engstrom 5:26 8. The Present Tensely David Ake 4:24 9. Tube Talk Andrew Heglund 5:54 10. Loro Egberto Gismonti 6:30 11. Calendar Larry Engstrom 4:40 12. Gyroscope Hans Halt 7:05 13. Goodnight Nobody [for Hillary Case] David Ake 5:44
- Recorded July 22 & 23, 2005
- Recording and Mixing Engineer: Tom Gordon
- Mastered by George Horn at Fantasy Records
- Upon completion of this album: The Collective sends its warmest thanks to Tom Gordon, Andy Barbera, CJ Walters, Danna Higley at HUNA, Reno's For the Love of Jazz Society, Dent Hand, Ed Corey, Julia Bledsoe, and the rest of the faculty, staff, students and administration of UNR. Extra thanks to our families and friends for the continued love and support.
- Release Date: 2006
Song Title Composer Time 1. Balance David Ake 3:28 2. Friday the 13th Thelonious Monk 2:30 3. Women's Dance Milcho Leviev 6:20 4. Ornette's Advice Peter Epstein 5:00 5. Jitterbug Waltz Fats Waller 5:11 6. We Do? David Ake 4:15 7. Lone Pine David Ake 4:34 8. Mirrors Hans Halt 5:54 9. Brilliant Colors Thelonious Monk 3:55 10. Fun Nat Adderly 6:20 11. Fat Morning David Ake 6:33
Album Notes: Recorded in May 2003, Boats features trumpeter Larry Engstrom, pianist David Ake, bassist Hans Halt, drummer Andrew Heglund, and the Collective's newest member, saxophonist Peter Epstein.
Release Date: 2003
The Collective, one of the most creative and distinctive jazz ensembles in the northwestern United States, features trumpeter Larry Engstrom, pianist David Ake, bassist Hans Halt, and drummer Andrew Heglund. 11 Songs.
- Audio CD
- Label: The Collective
- ASIN: B000OEB45W
- Available from Amazon.com Marketplace.
- “...the three members work in synchronous fashion to weave a series of songs that stand alone, while flowing from one to the next to produce a compelling musical journey.”
-Brad Walseth, JazzChicago.net
- From Origin Records: The Dark marks the debut release of EEA, a newly formed ensemble consisting of saxophonist Peter Epstein, Larry Engstrom on trumpet, and pianist David Ake, three longtime colleagues and collaborators. Whether performing original compositions, collective improvisations, or overlooked gems from the jazz repertoire, The Dark explores the full range of moods and textures afforded by this unusual instrumentation. Epstein, Engstrom, and Ake have performed and recorded alongside many of the world's finest artists in jazz and improvisational music, including Ralph Alessi, Uri Caine, Scott Colley, Ravi Coltrane, Peter Erskine, Charlie Haden, Bobby Previte, and Miroslav Tadic. EEA allows all of their varied experiences to make its way into their music. The result is a rare mix of sounds and approaches honed over decades of creative and diverse music making.
- Produced by EEA
- Recorded & mixed byTom Gordon at Imirage Sound Lab (Sparks, NV)
- Recorded on January 19 and 20, 2008
- Mastered by Scott Hull at Masterdisk
- Cover art by Imo
- Photography by Chad McCullough
- Cover design by John Bishop
- 1 The Dark 7:47
- 2 Keystone 4:45
- 3 Improvisation 1 2:48
- 4 African Flower 8:12
- 5 Palhaço 7:27
- 6 Polar 4:11
- 7 Improvisation 2 1:40
- 8 Time Falls (Like Snow) 4:03
- 9 Improvisation 3 1:41
- 10 Birthday Boy 4:00
- 11 Heaven 4:25
Dr. Larry M. Engstrom is Director of the University of Nevada, Reno School of the Arts, Director of the Reno Jazz Festival, and he continues to teach Applied Trumpet. He was Chair of the Department of Music and Dance from 2000 - 2003, and Director of Jazz Studies from 1989 - 2000.
Dr. Engstrom received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music Education from California State University at Fresno, and Master of Music and Doctor of Musical Arts degrees in Trumpet Performance at the University of North Texas, where he was jazz soloist with their renowned One O'Clock Jazz Band. He currently performs with the Collective, is a member of the Great Basin Brass Quintet, and he performs regularly with many other Nothern Nevada music ensembles. From 1988 - 2001 he was Principal Trumpet with the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra.