Department of Music Scholarships
Each year the Department of Music grants a limited number of scholarships for the study of music and all Music students are strongly encouraged to apply.
In order to be eligible for any institutional scholarship, including Music Scholarships, continuing UNR students must complete the Graduate & Undergraduate Scholarship Application on MyNevada between November 1 and February 1. The application is in “Supplemental Forms” listed under the “Student Center” once logged into your MyNevada account.
To apply for a Music scholarship for the 2016 – 2017 academic year, all students must complete and submit the Music Department Scholarship Application. A link to the application is at the bottom of this page. Recipients of Music scholarships typically have to meet very specific donor criteria so be sure to submit all information as accurately as possible. Students should check MyNevada for answers to academic questions. Be sure to answer every question as incomplete applications will not be accepted. The deadline to submit an application is December 1st, 2015.
Incoming/New students are not required to complete the MyNEVADA Graduate & Undergraduate Scholarship Application but must schedule an audition with the Department of Music. Incoming students should submit a Music Department Scholarship Application before scheduling an audition. To schedule an audition appointment, call (775) 784 – 6145.
Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be eligible for scholarships which require financial need. Be sure to include the University of Nevada federal school code: 002568-00. Students that are unable to complete the FAFSA (such as international students or students with DACA status) should complete the Institutional Methodology for Non-FAFSA Eligible Students Form. Submit these forms prior to March 1st.
All Music Department Scholarships require that recipients be enrolled in classes full-time (12-15 undergraduate, 9 graduate). Undergraduate recipients must also have a cumulative UNR (HS/Transfer) GPA of 2.75 or higher. Graduate recipients must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA. If you do not meet these requirements, you cannot be considered for an award. In addition, students must comply with the University Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Scholarships.
By submitting a Music Department Scholarship Application, you agree to the following:
- Scholarship recipients are expected to take applied lessons on their primary instrument during every semester they receive a scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients must participate in an appropriate ensemble while enrolled in lessons.
- Scholarship recipients are required to usher at least once during the semester for the Nightingale Concert Hall.
- Scholarship recipients must write a personal thank you letter to the donor of the award he/she received.
- Students will only be notified if they are nominated for an award. Students will not be notified that they have not been nominated to receive an award.
- All information submitted on a scholarship application will be evaluated by faculty to determine which students merit a scholarship award.
Once completed, students can deliver their application to the Music Department Office (Virginia Street Gym – Room 100), or they can submit their application by mail or fax to the following address:
UNR Music Department
1664 North Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89557 – 0226
Phone: (775) 784 – 6145
Fax: (775) 784 – 6896