University Symphonic Chorus
Check the Department of Music Events Calendar for upcoming performances.
The University Symphonic Chorus is a large ensemble of both students and community singers including UNR faculty and staff members from other departments. It performs a wide variety of works in collaboration with the Reno Chamber Orchestra as well as other instrumental groups.
Music Major and Minor Degree Fulfillment
For voice students, acceptance and participation in the University Symphonic Chorus can be used to fulfill undergraduate and graduate music degree requirements for major ensemble participation. The details for ensemble requirements are as follows:
- Voice Students - To fulfill degree requirements, voice students are required to participate in one of the following major ensembles:
- Applied Voice Majors may take up to four credits in MUS 470 - Opera Theater - to satisfy their major ensemble requirement. The four credits in MUS 470 must be after their 300 upper division voice audition.
- Graduate Students -- To fulfill degree requirements, graduate students in the Department of Music are required to participate in some form of conducted or coached ensemble for a minimum of two credits. The University Symphonic Chorus can be used to fulfill this requirement.
The Department of Music considers this ensemble to be a Major Ensemble. Registered participation in Major Ensembles fulfills certain degree requirements. Find out more below and consult your advisor.
The Department of Music offers opportunities to any University student demonstrating sufficient musical ability to participate in performing ensembles. Because most of these ensembles require an audition, students should seek the instructor's approval prior to registration.
- Katharine DeBoer, D.M.A. - Director, Vocal Studies; Associate Professor, Voice
- Paul Torkelson, D.M.A. - Director, Choral Activities, Voice
- Albert Rudolph Lee - Director, Nevada Chamber Opera, Voice
UNR's Voice Studies Program
Are you interested in vocal performance as a career choice? The Department of Music offers several types of degrees in Voice Studies.We invite you to visit the Voice Studies home page for more information.