The University Concert Chorus
Check the Events Calendar for upcoming performances.
The University Concert Chorus is a mixed chorus of undergraduate and graduate students from throughout the university. It offers majors and non-majors alike an excellent choral experience in a diverse setting. The Chorus performs a wide range of choral repertoire and has also performed with the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra. In 1994, the University Concert Chorus performed Eric Whitacre's Cloudburst at the Student Composer Interest Session for the Western Division ACDA Convention in Sacramento. Whitacre's composition was chosen as the winning entry and has since been published and performed throughout the United States.
Music Major and Minor Degree Fulfillment
For voice students, acceptance and participation in the University Concert Chorus can be used to fulfill undergraduate and graduate music degree requirements for major ensemble participation. The details for ensemble requirements are as follows:
- Voice Students - To fulfill degree requirements, voice students are required to participate in one of the following major ensembles:
- Applied Voice Majors may take up to four credits in MUS 470 - Opera Theater - to satisfy their major ensemble requirement. The four credits in MUS 470 must be after their 300 upper division voice audition.
- Graduate Students -- To fulfill degree requirements, graduate students in the Department of Music are required to participate in some form of conducted or coached ensemble for a minimum of two credits. The University Concert Chorus can be used to fulfill this requirement.
The Department of Music considers this ensemble to be a Major Ensemble. Registered participation in Major Ensembles fulfills certain degree requirements. Find out more below and consult your advisor.
The Department of Music offers opportunities to any University student demonstrating sufficient musical ability to participate in performing ensembles. Because most of these ensembles require an audition, students should seek the instructor's approval prior to registration.
- Katharine DeBoer, D.M.A. - Director, Vocal Studies; Associate Professor, Voice
- Paul Torkelson, D.M.A. - Director, Choral Activities, Voice
- Albert Rudolph Lee - Director, Nevada Chamber Opera, Voice
UNR's Voice Studies Program
Are you interested in vocal performance as a career choice? The Department of Music offers several types of degrees in Voice Studies.We invite you to visit the Voice Studies home page for more information.