Nevada Chamber Opera
Nevada Chamber Opera at UNR presents an annual season of one fully staged opera production as well as evenings of opera scenes and one-act operas. Nevada Chamber Opera's mission is to cast students in roles, and the program features every level of singer from master of music students to undergraduate non-music majors in principal and supporting roles. Works originally written in a foreign language are usually performed in English. In addition, repertory is chosen so that each student during a four-year period will be exposed to works from as many different eras and representing as many different styles as possible. Nevada Chamber Opera offers courses dedicated to the study of opera arias and scenes, operatic singing, stage movement, interpreting the text, and a presentation of a program of scenes and one-act operas. NCO regularly presents guest artists in concerts and master classes.
Chronology of Performances
- Grand Tour of Opera
- Suor Angelica by Giacomo Puccini
- Iolanthe by Gilbert and Sullivan
- An Evening Of Opera: Opera Shorts and Opera Scenes
- The Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan
- The Magic Flute by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell and La Voix Humaine by Francis Poulenc
- Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss II
- To Clara with Love: The Songs of Robert Schumann
- The Old Maid and the Thief and The Telephone by Gian-Carlo Menotti
- H.M.S. Pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan
- The Mélodies of Gabriel Fauré
- The Tender Land by Aaron Copland
- Messiah by George Frederic Handel
- Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni
- Amahl and the Night Visitors by Gian-Carlo Menotti
- Happy Birthday Mozart! Scenes from Mozart's Four Great Operas
- L'Enfant et les Sortilèges by Maurice Ravel
- The Medium and The Telephone by Gian-Carlo Menotti
- The Gondoliers by Gilbert and Sullivan
The Department of Music considers this ensemble to be a Major Ensemble. Registered participation in Major Ensembles fulfills certain degree requirements. Find out more below and consult your advisor.
Music Major and Minor Degree Fulfillment
For voice students, acceptance and participation in the Nevada Chamber Opera can be used to fulfill undergraduate major and minor degree requirements and graduate music degree requirements for major ensemble participation. The details for ensemble requirements are as follows:
- Voice Students -- Applied Voice Majors may take up to four credits in MUS 470 - Opera Theater - to satisfy their major ensemble requirement. The four credits in MUS 470 must be after their 300 upper division voice audition.
- Graduate Students -- To fulfill degree requirements, graduate students in the Department of Music are required to participate in some form of conducted or coached ensemble for a minimum of two credits. The Nevada Chamber Opera can be used to fulfill this requirement.
The Department of Music offers opportunities to any University student demonstrating sufficient musical ability to participate in performing ensembles. Because most of these ensembles require an audition, students should seek the artistic director's approval prior to registration.
UNR's Voice Studies Program
Are you interested in Voice Studies as a career choice? The Department of Music offers several types of degrees in Vocal Performance, Choral Studies, and Music Education with a concentration in Voice. We invite you to visit the Voice Studies Program home page for more information.