Nevada Chamber Opera
The Nevada Chamber Opera presents a World Premiere Preformance
The Big Bonanza
Music by Monica Houghton
Libretto by Jon Christensen
Performed on Friday, April 8, Saturday, April 9, and Sunday, April 10, 2016 at Nightingale Concert Hall
This World Premier is based in part on the life and writings of William Wright, alias Dan De Quille.Synopsis
William Wright heads west in the 1850's leaving his wife Caroline behind on the farm. Arriving in Virginia City, Nevada, at the time of the discovery of the famous Comstock Lode, he sets up shop as a reporter for the Territorial Enterprise under the pen name Dan De Quille. Here in this barren-yet-beautiful wilderness, the miners are risking life and limb to bring riches from the ground.
Dan fails to make it rich in mining stocks, and so pins his hopes on a new book. After the murder of his friend Julia, he turns to drink (and eventually, opium) to relieve his growing sense of loneliness and despair. His younger colleague Mark Twain succeeds wildly where Dan cannot, even as Caroline continues to hope for Dan to come home.
Fall and Spring Performances
Nevada Chamber Opera at UNR presents an annual season of one fully staged opera production as well as evenings of opera scenes and one-act operas. Nevada Chamber Opera's mission is to cast students in roles, and the program features every level of singer from master of music students to undergraduate non-music majors in principal and supporting roles. Works originally written in a foreign language are usually performed in English. In addition, repertory is chosen so that each student during a four-year period will be exposed to works from as many different eras and representing as many different styles as possible. Nevada Chamber Opera offers courses dedicated to the study of opera arias and scenes, operatic singing, stage movement, interpreting the text, and a presentation of a program of scenes and one-act operas. NCO regularly presents guest artists in concerts and master classes.
- Chronology of Performances (Click Here)
Chronology of Performances
- A Night of American Opera
- Love, Fidelity, Betrayal, Death
- Grand Tour of Opera
- Suor Angelica by Giacomo Puccini
- Iolanthe by Gilbert and Sullivan
- An Evening Of Opera: Opera Shorts and Opera Scenes
- The Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan
- The Magic Flute by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell and La Voix Humaine by Francis Poulenc
- Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss II
- To Clara with Love: The Songs of Robert Schumann
- The Old Maid and the Thief and The Telephone by Gian-Carlo Menotti
- H.M.S. Pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan
- The Mélodies of Gabriel Fauré
- The Tender Land by Aaron Copland
- Messiah by George Frederic Handel
- Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni
- Amahl and the Night Visitors by Gian-Carlo Menotti
- Happy Birthday Mozart! Scenes from Mozart's Four Great Operas
- L'Enfant et les Sortilèges by Maurice Ravel
- The Medium and The Telephone by Gian-Carlo Menotti
- The Gondoliers by Gilbert and Sullivan
Music Major and Minor Degree Fulfillment
For voice students, acceptance and participation in the Nevada Chamber Opera can be used to fulfill undergraduate major and minor degree requirements and graduate music degree requirements for major ensemble participation. The details for ensemble requirements are as follows:
- Voice Students -- Applied Voice Majors may take up to four credits in MUS 470 - Opera Theater - to satisfy their major ensemble requirement. The four credits in MUS 470 must be after their 300 upper division voice audition.
- Graduate Students -- To fulfill degree requirements, graduate students in the Department of Music are required to participate in some form of conducted or coached ensemble for a minimum of two credits. The Nevada Chamber Opera can be used to fulfill this requirement.
Nevada Chamber Opera's Facebook
UNR's Voice Studies Program
Are you interested in Voice Studies as a career choice? The Department of Music offers several types of degrees in Vocal Performance, Choral Studies, and Music Education with a concentration in Voice. We invite you to visit the Voice Studies Program home page for more information.
Music Performances at UNR
Faculty and student ensemble performances occur frequently througout each semester. Check the Department of Music Events Calendar for upcoming recitals and concerts.