Admissions to Chemistry Graduate Programs
- Online application deadline for the fall semester is April 30 of the same year.
- The application is online through the University of Nevada, Reno, Graduate School website.
- The Admissions Committee will review only completed files.
- Applicants will be notified of completion of application within 2 weeks of completed application.
- Applicants will be automatically considered for Teaching Assistantships. No separate application is needed.
- Applicants will be notified of admittance, denial or placement on a waiting list as soon as the committee has reviewed their completed application. Review of applications begins November 15, 2013.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing graduate studies at the Department of Chemistry at the University of Nevada, Reno. Our website gives you general information on the areas of faculty research, department facilities, as well as the Reno area. Below you can find information for the application to the graduate programs.
- For admission to the Ph.D. program, a B.S. in Chemistry or in a related field with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is required.
- For admission to the M.S. program, a B.S. in Chemistry or related field with a minimum GPA of 2.75 (or 3.0 for the last two years) is required.
- In addition to grades, admission decisions are based on academic degrees and records, the letters of recommendation, the statement of purpose as well as relevant work experience
- For international applicants:
- TOEFL (550 paper or 80 IBT)
- IELTS (score of 7)
- Official copies of transcripts from each college or university you have attended.
- Official copies of GRE General scores. The Chemistry GRE test is not required.
- Statement of purpose. This one page document should describe your motivation to attend graduate school and indicate which area(s) of chemistry you are interested in and briefly explain why you are interested in it (them).
- For international applicants, TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language) or IELTS scores.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your accomplishments. The letters can be uploaded directly online. If your recommender prefers to mail a paper copy, this letter needs to include a recommendation cover form.
- The non-refundable application fee for domestic applicants is $60 (or $40 for alumni or returning applicants) and for foreign applicants it is $95. Payment is made by credit card or electronic check during the online application process.
- If you have any questions or need assistance with your application process, please contact us at the following address or by phone or email: Graduate Admissions Committee, Department of Chemistry- University of Nevada
Reno, NV 89557-0216 USA Tel.: +1 (775) 784 6041 e-mail: gradchem.unr.edu
- If you do not receive a confirmation of completed application within 2 weeks, please contact the Graduate Admissions Committee at gradchem.unr.edu.