- Ph.D., Texas A&M University, 2004
- M.S., University of Idaho, 1995
- M.S., Northern Jiaotong University, China, 1986
- B.S., Northern Jiaotong University, China, 1983
Dr. Zong Tian joined the University of Nevada Reno in 2004 and is currently an associate professor and the founding director CATER.
He obtained his Ph.D. degree from Texas A&M University. He held a position of associate research scientist at the Texas Transportation Institute between 2000 and 2004. He was employed at Kittelson and Associates, Inc. in Portland, Oregon between 1995 and 1999.
Dr. Tian is active in several transportation professional organizations. He has been a member of two committees of the Transportation Research Board (TRB): the Highway Capacity and Quality of Service Committee, and the Traffic Signal Systems Committee. He is the paper review chair for the Highway Capacity and Quality of Service Committee of TRB, handling over 60 paper reviews each year. He is member of the Scientific Committee of the World Conference on Transport Research Society (WCTRS). He chairs the Special Interest Group (SIG-C2) focusing on Urban Transport Operations. He has been serving as a co-organizer for the International Conference on Traffic and Transportation Studies (ICTTS) since 2004 and has been the co-editor of the conference proceedings.
His specialty area is in traffic signal systems and operations, highway capacity, and integrated freeway and arterial operations. Tian received the Young Consultant Award from ITE in 1997.
- Dr. Tian's research focuses on various aspects of traffic engineering and intelligent transportation systems, including traffic signal system and operations, freeway ramp metering, integrated freeway/surface street system operations, highway capacity, video image system, and large-scale transportation network modeling.
Relevant past experience:
- Consultant, Kittelson and Associates, Inc. in Portland, Oregon
- Associate Research Scientist, Texas Transportation Institute
- Faculty of Department of Transportation Management and Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University, China
Other activities within engineering and teaching professions
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Transportation Research, Part A
- Member of the Highway Capacity and Quality of Service Committee of the Transportation Research Board
- Editor of the Conference Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Traffic and Transportation Studies (ICTTS2004), China 2004
- Tian, Z., Kyte, M., and Liu, H. (2009). Vehicle Tracking and Speed Measurement at Intersections Using Video-Detection Systems. ITE Journal, Vol. 79, No. 1, pp. 42-46.
- Tian, Z., Mangal, V., and Liu, H. (2008). Effectiveness of Lead-lag Phasing on Progression Bandwidth. Transportation Research Record 2080, pp. 22-27.
- Xu, F. and Tian, Z. (2008). Driver Behavior and Gap-acceptance Characteristics at Roundabouts in California. Transportation Research Record 2008, pp. 117-124.
- Cheng, D., Tian, Z., and Liu, H. (2008). Modeling Actuated Signal Controlled Intersection Capacity and Delay With Pedestrians. Accepted for publication in Transportation Research Record 2008, pp. 125-130.
- Chen, S., Liu, H., Tian, Z. and Hart, J. (2008). Surrogate Safety Assessment for a Tight Urban Diamond Interchange Using Micro-Simulation. Accepted for publication in Advances in Transportation Studies.
- Tian, Z., Abbas, M. (2007). Models for Quantitative Assessments of Video Detection System Impacts on Signalized Intersection Operations. Transportation Research Record 2035, pp. 50-58.
- Tian, Z., Urbanik, T., Gibby, R. (2007). Application of Diamond Interchange Control Strategies at Closely-spaced Intersections. Transportation Research Record 2035, pp. 32-39.
- Tian, Z. (2007). Modeling and Implementation of an Integrated Ramp Metering - Diamond Interchange Control System. Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology. Vol. 7, No.1, pp. 61-72.
- Tian, Z., Urbanik, T. (2007). System Partition Technique to Improve Signal Coordination and Progression. Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, 133 (2), 119-128.
- Tian, Z. (2006). Ramp Metering and the Two-Capacity Phenomenon in Freeway Operations. Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology, 6(3), 11-20.
- Tian, Z., Kyte, M. (2006). Queue Length Models for All-way Stop-controlled Intersections. Transportation Research Record 1988, 63-66.
- Tian, Z., Urbanik, T. (2006). Green Extension and Traffic Detection Schemes at Signalized Intersections. Transportation Research Record 1978, 16-24.
- Zhou, H., Hagen, L., Lu, J., Tian, Z. (2006). Empirical Delay Models for Multi-lane Two-Way Stop-Controlled Intersections. ITE Journal, 76(9), 41-46.
- Tian, Z., Wu, N. (2006). Probabilistic Model for Signalized Intersection Capacity with a Short right-turn Lane. Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, 132(3), 205-212.
- Tian, Z., Messer, C., Balke, K., Urbanik, T. (2005). Integration of Diamond Interchange and Ramp Metering Operations. Transportation Research Record, 1925, 101-111.
- Cheng, D., Tian, Z., and Messer, C. (2005). Development of an Improved Cycle Length Model over the HCM2000 Quick Estimation Method. Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, 131 (12), 890-897.
- Tian, Z., Messer, C., and Balke, K. (2004). Modeling the Impact of Ramp Metering Queues on Diamond Interchange Operations, accepted for publication in Transportation Research Record 1867, 172-182.
- CEE 338 Engineering Economy
- CEE 389 Probability and Statistics
- CEE 463/663 Traffic Engineering Analysis and Operations
- CEE 761 Traffic Simulation
- CEE 762 Math Applications in Transportation
- CEE 763 Traffic Safety
- CEE 764 Transportation Sy