- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (775) 784-1411
- Fax: (775) 784-1390
- Office: Scrugham Engineering and Mines 224
- Mail Stop: 0258
- Website: http://wolfweb.unr.edu/homepage/siddhart/siddharthan.htm
- Ph.D., University of British Columbia, 1984
- M.S., University of British Columbia, 1981
- B.Sc., University of Sri Lanka, 1977
- Soil response under static and dynamic loading including liquefaction behavior
- Dynamic behavior of rigid and flexible retaining walls
- Dynamic pavement response to conventional and non-conventional vehicles
- Pavement materials characterization
- Effects of blast loading on saturated medium
- Wave loading on offshore slopes
- Transportation risk assessment studies
- Visiting Research Associate to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 2007
- Visiting Research Associate to MIT, 1992
- Funded projects from the National Science Foundation, Department of Transportation, Department of Energy, Department of Defrense and numerous private firms
Other activities within engineering and teaching professions
- Presented five short courses in Nevada and California on Liquefaction, Seismic Bridge Abutment Design, and Seism ic Response
- Delivered as many as 70 presentations in conferences, meetings, and seminars
- Presented a week-long short course on Geotechnical Seismic Design at University of Costa Rica
- Investigator (PI and Co. PI) of projects totaling more than $3.4 million from a wide variety of sources including, federal (NSF, ARO, DOE, NCHRP, Engineering Foundation), state (Nevada, California), and other sources (e.g. SCEC, EPRI, MCEER)
- Developed many software programs- notable ones are TARA and 3D-Move. A modified version of TARA program is routinely used by WES in their seismic response analyses of dams. The 3D-Move software developed with funds from the federal government has a user base of 400 users in 40 countries
- Served as a member of many ASCE Technical Committees (Soil Dynamics, Computer Applications, Shock and Vibratory Effects) and EERI and as a reviewer of proposals and reports for the NSF, ASCE, and US Army
- 1996 EERI Student Research Paper Competition Award was presented to Mahmoud EL- Gamal. His paper was based on his Ph.D. work carried out under my supervision.
- 1997 Shamsher Prakash Foundation Citation for work on Dynamic Soil Structure Interaction and Stability of Retaining Structures Under Earthquakes
Non-Academic Experience (selected list)
Dr. Siddharthan has been involved in a variety of consulting projects for a number firms including:
- Klohn Leonoff Consultants, Vancouver
- Komex Consultants, Calgary
- Exxon, Houston
- GAB Corporation, Sacramento
- Welsh Engineers, Denver
- Pezonella Associates, Reno
- EIC Consultants, Denver; Golder Associates, Denver
- Harding and Lawson Associates, Reno
- WESTECH, Reno
- Pacific Eng. & Analysis, El Cerrito
- Marvin & Associates, Reno
- CNI Consultants, Tucson
- Wood Rodgers, Reno
- Weidlinger Associates, New York (Verrazano-Narrows bridge retrofit)
- Summit Engineers, Las Vegas
- Robert Maddox & Associates
- Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering
- Foundation Engineering
- Computer Applications in Civil Engineering
- Strength of Materials
- Retaining Structures
- Earthquake Engineering
- Numerical Methods in Civil Engineering
- Advanced Geotechnical Engineering
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, also Long Distance to UNLV
- Seepage and Slope Stability
- Siddharthan, R.V., and Porbaha, A., "Seismic Response Evaluation of Deep Mixed Improved Ground Part II: Verification," Ground Improvement, Vol. 131, Issue G13, Institute of Civil Engineers, UK, August 2008, pp. 163-169
- Siddharthan, R.V., and Porbaha, A., "Seismic Response Evaluation of Deep Mixed Improved Ground Part I: Proposed Approach," Ground Improvement, Vol. 131, Issue G13, Institute of Civil Engineers, UK, August 2008, pp. 153-162.
- Hajj, E.Y., Siddharthan, R.V., Sebaaly, P.E., and Wietzel, D., "Hot Mix Asphalt Mixtures for Nevada's Intersections," Transportation Research Record No. 2001, TRB, 2007, pp. 73-83.
- Hajj, E.Y., Siddharthan, R.V., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Development of Laboratory-Based Unified Permanent Deformation Model for HMA Mixture," Journal of Testing and Evaluations, Vol. 35(3), May 2007, pp. 272-280.
- Siddharthan, R., Sebaaly, P.E., El-Desouky, M., Strand, D., and Huft, D. "Heavy Off-road Vehicle Tire-Pavement Interactions and Response," Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 131(3), March/April 2005, pp. 239-247.
- Siddharthan, R.V., Ganeshwara, V., Kutter, B.L., El-Desouky, M., and Whitman, R.V., "Seismic Deformation of Bar Mat MSE Walls II: A Multi-Block Model," Journal of Geotechnical and Geo-Environmental Engrg., ASCE, Vol. 130(1), ASCE, January 2004, pp. 26-35.
- Siddharthan, R.V., Ganeshwara, V., Kutter, B.L., El-Desouky, M., and Whitman, R.V., "Seismic Deformation of Bar Mat MSE Walls I: Centrifuge Tests," Journal of Geotechnical and Geo-Environmental Engrg., ASCE, Vol. 130(1), ASCE, January 2004, pp. 14-25.
- Sebaaly, P.E., Siddharthan, R., El‑Desouky, M., Strand, D., and Huft, D., "Effect of Off‑Road Equipment on Flexible Pavements," Transportation Research Record No. 1821, TRB, 2003, pp. 29-38.
- Sebaaly, P.E., Siddharthan, R., and Huft, D., "Impact of Heavy Vehicles on Low-Volume Roads," Transportation Research Record No. 1819, Vol. 2, Part 9, TRB, 2003, pp. 228-237.
- Siddharthan, R.V., El-Mously, M., Krishnamenon, N., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Validation of a Pavement Response Model using Full-Scale Field Tests," International Journal in Pavement Engineering, Vol. 3(2), 2002, pp. 85-93.
- Siddharthan, R.V., Krishnamenon, N., El-Mously, M., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Investigation of Tire Contact Stress Distributions on Pavement Response," Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 128(2), March/April, 2002, pp. 136-144.
- Meis, R., Maragakis, E.A., and Siddharthan, R., "Static Axial Behavior of Some Typical Restrained Joints," Journal of Testing and Evaluations, Vol. 29(5), September 2001, pp. 485-491.
- Ni, S.D., Anderson, J.G., Zeng, Y., and Siddharthan, R.V., "Expected Signature of Nonlinearity on Regression for Strong Ground Motion Parameters," Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, Vol. 90, 6B, 2000, pp. S53-S64.
- Siddharthan, R.V., Krishnamenon, N., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Pavement Response Evaluation using Finite-Layer Approach," Transportation Research Record No. 1709, 2000, pp. 43-49.
- Siddharthan, R.V., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Investigation of AC layer Strains from Wide-Base Tires," Transportation Research Record No. 1655, 1999, pp. 168 - 174.
- Siddharthan, R.V., Yao, J., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Pavement Strain from Moving Dynamic 3-D Load Distribution," Journal of Transportation Engrg., ASCE, Vol. 124(6), Nov./Dec. 1998, pp. 557-566.
- El-Gamal, M., and Siddharthan, R.V., "Stiffnesses of Abutments on Piles in Seismic Bridge Analyses," Soils and Foundations, Vol. 38(1), March 1998, pp. 77-87.
- Siddharthan, R.V., El-Gamal, M., and Maragakis, E.A., "Stiffnesses of Abutments on Spread Footing with Cohesionless Backfill," Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 34(5), October 1997, pp. 686-697