- Ph.D., University of Buffalo, New York, 1998
- M.S., University of Buffalo, New York, 1994
- M.S., Bogazici University, Istanbul, 1992
- B.S., Bogazici University, Istanbul, 1990
- Theoretical and experimental aspects of earthquake engineering and structural dynamics, focusing on hazard mitigation and seismic fragility of structural and nonstructural systems
- Experimental and analytical studies of seismic performance, design and retrofit of buildings and bridges with/without earthquake protective systems
Relevant past experience
- Shaking table and quasi-dynamic testing of scaled models of reinforced concrete, steel and timber buildings and bridge structures
- Seismic qualification and shake table testing of nonstructural systems for critical facilities
- Field testing and analytical studies of highway bridges
Other activities within engineering and teaching professions
- Member, ASCE, EERI, CUREE, NEES, ASEE, TRB
- Contributor to ATC-58 - Interim Shake Table Test Protocol For Quantifying Seismic Fragility of Motion-Sensitive Nonstructural Components
- Project Manager for NEES - Earthquake Engineering data model and metadata development in collaboration with the NEES System Integrators, NCSA
- NEES Site and Project Manager at the University of Nevada, Reno - Development of Telepresence functions and infrastructure for remote participation and research collaboration
- Experimental and analytical investigation of steel STMF systems
- Experimental and analytical investigation of seismic response characteristics of skewed highway bridges
- Experimental evaluation and seismic qualification testing of various non-structural systems
- Experimental investigation of seismic response of timber bridges
- Experimental and analytical investigation of the seismic response of a 1:3 scale sway frame of a deck-truss bridge with and without supplementary damping systems
- Ambient (traffic) vibration tests on the North Grand Island deck-truss bridge
- Quick release (snap back) experiments and system identification of two-three span slab-on-girder highway bridges with seismic isolation elements
- Development of seismic design methodologies for linear and nonlinear viscous damping devices
- Experimental and analytical investigation of the seismic response of a 1:4 scale steel model structures retrofitted with and without tension-only supplementary damping systems
- Experimental and analytical investigation of the seismic response of a 1:3 scale reinforced concrete model structures retrofitted with and without supplementary damping systems
- Quasi-static and dynamic testing of steel beam-column connections
- Development of a nonlinear computational models and implementation in Drain-2DX
- Instructor of record for course offered through the College of Extended Studies on the development of curriculum and teaching modules with engineering content for K7-9 students and teachers
- Pekcan, G., Linke, C., and Itani, A. M. (2009), "Damage Avoidance Design of Special Truss Moment Frames with Energy Dissipating Devices." Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier, 65 (6), 1374 - 1384. (online: October, 2008)
- Abdel-Mohti, A. and Pekcan, G. (2008), "Seismic response of skewed RC box-girder bridges." Journal of Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, IEM and MCEER, (in press).
- Carden L.P., Pekcan G., and Itani A.M., (2008), "Investigation of Flange Local Bending under Flexible Patch Loading." Engineering Journal, AISC., 1st Quarter.
- Carden, L., Pekcan, G., and Itani, A., (2007), "Web Yielding, Crippling and Lateral Buckling Under Post Loading." Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 133(5), 665-673.
- Carden, L.P., Pekcan G., Itani, A.M., (2007), "Flange and Web Limit States in Beams subjected to Patch Loading." Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier, 63(1), 45-54.
- Pekcan G., Itani A.M., and Carden L.P., (2006), "Design of Bridge Falsework for Gravity Loads." Journal of Bridge Engineering, Taylor and Francis, 2(3), 155-168.
Cantrell, P., Pekcan, G., Itani, A., Valesquez, N., (2006), "The Effect of Engineering Modules on Student Learning in Middle School Classrooms." Journal of Engineering Education, ASEE, 95(4), 301-309.
- Ajrab, J., Pekcan, G., and Mander, J. B., (2004), "Rocking Wall-Frame Structures with Supplemental Tendon Systems," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 130 (6), 895 - 903.
- CEE 371 Mathematical Methods in Civil Engineering
- CEE 381 Structural Analysis I
- CEE 486/686 Structural Analysis II
- CEE 482 Design of Timber Structures
- CEE 704 Applied Finite Element Analysis I
- CEE 724 Applied Elasticity I
- CEE 731 Advanced Dynamics of Structures
- CEE 771 Experimental Methods for Civil Engineers
- CS 241 Introduction to Computer Methods for Engineers
- CI 681 Special Problems in Curriculum and Instruction
- CEE 771 Special Engrg Problems