Elie Y. Hajj
- Ph.D., University of Nevada, Reno, 2005
- M.S., University of Nevada, Reno, 2003
- B.S., Lebanese University, Lebanon, 1999
Dr. Elie Y. Hajj is an Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno. He earned his Ph.D. (2005) from the University of Nevada specializing in pavements and materials. Dr. Hajj joined the faculty of the University of Nevada in 2006 as a Research Assistant and in 2011 as an Assistant Professor.
Since then, he has worked on several research projects on asphalt mixtures characterization, modified asphalt mixtures, warm-mix asphalt, recycled asphalt pavement, and moisture damage. He has authored over 65 publications in journals, national and international conferences and technical reports.
Dr. Hajj is currently leading several research activities within the Asphalt Research Consortium (ARC). He is an active member of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT), the International Society for Asphalt Pavements (ISAP), and three transportation research board Committees AFK30, AFK50 and AFD80.
He has also been chairing the subcommittee AFK50(2) on "Integration of Bituminous Paving Mixture Characteristics with Pavement Structural Design."
- Paving materials design and characterization, including sustainable and engineered materials (recycled asphalt pavement, warm mix asphalt) and oxidative aging of asphalt materials
- Mechanistic pavement design and analysis, including pavement response to heavy dynamic loads, large-scale pavement testing, and cost-effectiveness of maintenance and rehabilitation techniques
- Computer applications in civil engineering
- Laboratory manager of the Western Regional Superpave Center
- Pavement engineering services manager and laboratory supervisor at Terracon Consulting Engineering of Reno, Nevada
- Laboratory evaluation of asphalt mixtures using state-of-the-art equipment
- Mechanistic analysis of asphalt mixtures under moving and braking heavy trucks
- Development of web-based materials and research database
- Improvement of 3D-Move analysis software
Other activities within engineering and teaching professions
- Member of the TRB AFD80 Committee: Strength and Deformation Characteristics of Pavement Sections
- Nevada Alliance for Quality Transportation Construction Honorary Member
- Hajj, E. Y., Sebaaly, P. E., and P. Kandiah. "Evaluation of the Use of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement in Airfields HMA Pavements," accepted for publication in Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, 2009.
- Sebaaly, H. K., Hajj, E. Y., Sebaaly, P. E., Weitzel, D., and E. Hitti. "Laboratory Evaluation of HMA Mixes Using Tire Modified Binders," accepted for publication in International Journal of Pavement, 2009.
- Hajj, E. Y., Sebaaly, P. E., and R. Shresta. "Laboratory Evaluation of Mixes Containing Recycled Asphalt Pavement (RAP)," accepted for publication in International Journal of Road Materials and Pavements Design, 2009.
- Sebaaly, P. E., and E. Y. Hajj. "Evaluation of AASHTO T-283 Moisture Sensitivity Test," Proc. of the Int. ISAP Symposium, Zurich, Switzerland, Aug. 2008, pp. 473-484.
- Loria, L., Sebaaly, P. E., and E. Y. Hajj. "Long-Term Performance of Reflective Cracking Mitigation Techniques in Nevada." Transportation Research Record, 2044, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., 2008, pp. 86-95.
- Morian, N., Hajj, E. Y., and P. E. Sebaaly. "Mitigating Reflective Cracking under Nevada's Conditions," Proceeding of the 6th RILEM International Conference on Cracking in Pavements, Chicago, USA, June 2008, pp. 821-831.
- Hajj, E. Y., Sebaaly, P. E., Siddharthan, R. V., and D. Weitzel. "Investigation & Analysis of Hot Mix Asphalt Mixtures at Nevada's intersections," International Conference on Advanced Characterization of Pavement and Soil Engineering Materials, Athens, Greece, Taylor & Francis Group, London, Vol. 2, 2007, pp. 1679-1689.
- Sebaaly, P. E., Hajj, E. Y., and E. Berger. "Impact of lime and liquid antistrip on moisture sensitivity of HMA mixtures," Int. Conf. on Advanced Characterization of Pavement and Soil Engineering Materials, Athens, Greece, Taylor & Francis Group, London, Vol. 1, 2007, pp. 651-661.
- Hajj, E. Y., Siddharthan, R. V., Sebaaly, P. E., and D. Weitzel. "Laboratory-based Unified Permanent Deformation Model for Hot-Mix Asphalt Mixtures." J. of Testing and Evaluation, ASTM, Vol. 35, No. 3, May 2007, pp.272-280.
- Hajj, E. Y., Siddharthan R. V., Sebaaly, P. E., and D. Weitzel. "Hot Mix Asphalt Mixtures for Nevada's Intersections." Transportation Research Record No. 2001, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., 2007, pp. 73-83.
- Sebaaly, P. E., Little, D., Hajj, E. Y., and E. Berger. "Impact of Lime and Liquid Antistrip on the Properties of an Idaho Mixture." Transportation Research Record, 1998, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., 2007, pp. 65-74.
- Hajj, E. Y., Sebaaly, P. E., and R. V. Siddharthan. "Response of Asphalt Pavement Mixture Under a Slow Moving Truck." Asphalt Concrete: Simulation, Modeling, and Experimental Characterization, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 146, ASCE, 2006.
- CEE 375 Construction Materials
- CEE CEE 431/631 Pavement Analysis and Design
- CEE 733 Advanced Pavement Design and Management
- CEE 735 Pavement Management Systems