Ian G. Buckle
Foundation Professor, Director of CCEER
- Ph.D., University of Auckland, New Zealand, 1967
- B.E., University of Auckland, New Zealand, 1964
- Seismic performance of bridges and lifelines
- Earthquake protective systems for structures including theory, hardware and engineering applications of seismic isolation
- Non-seismic bridge performance for extreme loads such as thermal effects and overloads
- Linear and non-linear analytical techniques for structures subject to dynamic loads
- Conducted full-scale field testing and large-scale laboratory testing of structures using static and dynamic loads
- Reconnaissance team member for recent earthquakes in California, Japan and Taiwan
- Major contributor to the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials LRFD Specifications for Highway Bridges and the FHWA Seismic Retrofitting Manual for Highway Bridges
- Past Deputy Director, National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, SUNY Buffalo
- Past Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), University of Auckland
Other activities within engineering and teaching professions
- Chair, NEES Equipment Site Forum
- Vice Chair, Caltrans Seismic Advisory Board
- Member, Board of Directors, Asia-Pacific Network of Centers for Earthquake Engineering Research (ANCER)
- Member, Board of Directors, George E. Brown Jr. Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (NEES Consortium Inc.)
- Member, Board of Directors, Nevada Earthquake Safety Council (NESC)
- Past President and Chair, Board of Directors, NEES Consortium Inc.
- Past Chair, Executive Committee, ASCE Technical Council on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering (TCLEE)
- Past Chair, Transportation Research Board Committee AFF50, Seismic Design and Performance of Bridges
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Consortium of Universities for Research in Earthquake Engineering (CUREE)
- CEE 381 Structural Analysis I
- CEE 725 Advanced Topics in Structural Analysis
- CEE 729 Seismic Isolation for Structural Systems
- CEE 730 Dynamics of Structures
- CEE 731 Advanced Dynamics of Structures
- Buckle, I.G., Protecting Concrete Structures From Earthquakes Using Seismic Isolation: From Concept to Reality, Jl. Japan Conc. Inst., 40 (1), 2002, pp 116-122 [in Japanese].
- Buckle, I., Nagarajaiah, S., and Ferrell, K., Stability of Elastomeric Isolation Bearings: Experimental Study, Jl. Structural. Eng., ASCE, 128 (1), 2002, pp 3-11.
- Chen, Q., Douglas, B.M., Maragakis, E.A., and Buckle I.G., Extraction of Hysteretic Properties of Seismically Isolated Bridges From Quick Release Field Tests, Jl. Earthquake Eng. Structural Dynamics, 31, 2002, pp 333-351.
- Buckle, I.G., AASHTO LRFD Limit State Design of Bridges With Emphasis on Seismic Performance, Foundation Design Codes and Soil Investigation in View of International Harmonization and Performance Based Design, Balkema, Tokyo, 2002, pp 17-30.
- Carden L.P., Itani, A.M., and Buckle I.G., Investigation of Composite Action in Steel Girder Bridge Superstructures Subjected to Transverse Earthquake Loading, Transportation Research Record, Jl. Trans. Res. Board, 1814, 2002, pp 245-252.
- Friedland I.M., Buckle I.G., and Lee, G.C., Highway Bridge Seismic Design, Jl. Earthquake Eng. and Eng. Vibration, 1 (1), 2002, pp 10-19.
- Itani, A.M., Bruneau, M., Carden, L.P., and Buckle, I.G., Seismic Behavior of Steel Girder Bridge Superstructures, Jl. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 9 (3), 2004, pp 243-249.
- Dusicka, P., Itani, A.M., and Buckle, I.G., Finite Element Investigation of Steel Built-Up Shear Links Subjected to Inelastic Deformations, Jl Earthquake Eng. and Eng. Vibration, 3 (2), 2004, pp 195-203.
- Buckle, I.G., Dusicka, P., and Itani, A.M., Development of Built-Up Shear Links as Energy Dissipators for the Seismic Protection of Long-Span Bridges, Bridge Structures, 1 (1), Taylor & Francis, 2005, pp 19-27.
- Carden, L.P., Itani, A.M., and Buckle, I.G., Seismic Performance of Steel Girder Bridges with Ductile Cross Frames Using Single Angle X Braces, Jl. Structural Eng., ASCE 132 (3), 2006, pp 329-337.
- Carden, L.P., Itani, A.M., and Buckle, I.G., Seismic Performance of Steel Girder Bridges with Ductile Cross Frames Using Buckling Restrained Braces, Jl. Structural Eng., ASCE 132 (3), 2006, pp 338-345.
- Buckle, I.G., Friedland, I.M., Mander, J.H., Martin, G.R., Nutt, R., and Power M., Seismic Retrofitting Manual for Highway Structures: Part 1- Bridges, Publication FHWA-HRT-06-032, Federal Highway Administration, Washington DC, 2006, 610pp. Also published as Special Publication MCEER-06-SP10, Multidisciplinary Center for Extreme Events Research, University at Buffalo, Buffalo NY, 2006, 610pp.
- Buckle, I.G., Constantinou, M., Dicleli, M., and Ghasemi, H., Seismic Isolation of Highway Bridges, Special Publication MCEER-06-SP07, Multidisciplinary Center for Extreme Events Research, University at Buffalo, Buffalo NY, 2006, 171pp.