GOKHAN PEKCAN, Ph.D.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Mail Stop 258
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557
T: (775) 784-4512
F: (775) 784-1390
|1998||Ph.D||State University of New York at Buffalo, NY|
|1994||M.S.||State University of New York at Buffalo, NY|
|1990||B.Sc||Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey|
- Theoretical and experimental aspects of earthquake engineering and structural dynamics, focusing on hazard mitigation and seismic fragility of structural and nonstructural systems.
- Experimental and analytical studies of seismic performance, design and retrofit of buildings and bridges with/without earthquake protective systems.
- Pekcan, G., Linke, C., and Itani, A. M. (2009), "Damage Avoidance Design of Special Truss Moment Frames with Energy Dissipating Devices." Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier, 65 (6), 1374 - 1384. (online: October, 2008)
- Abdel-Mohti, A. and Pekcan, G. (2008), “Seismic response of skewed RC box-girder bridges.” Journal of Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, IEM and MCEER, (in press).
- Carden L.P., Pekcan G., and Itani A.M., (2008), “Investigation of Flange Local Bending under Flexible Patch Loading.” Engineering Journal, AISC., 1st Quarter.
- Carden, L., Pekcan, G., and Itani, A., (2007), “Web Yielding, Crippling and Lateral Buckling Under Post Loading.” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 133(5), 665-673.
- Carden, L.P., Pekcan G., Itani, A.M., (2007), “Flange and Web Limit States in Beams subjected to Patch Loading.” Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier, 63(1), 45-54.
- Pekcan G., Itani A.M., and Carden L.P., (2006), “Design of Bridge Falsework for Gravity Loads.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, Taylor and Francis, 2(3), 155-168.
- Cantrell, P., Pekcan, G., Itani, A., Valesquez, N., (2006), “The Effect of Engineering Modules on Student Learning in Middle School Classrooms.” Journal of Engineering Education, ASEE, 95(4), 301-309.
- Ajrab, J., Pekcan, G., and Mander, J. B., (2004), "Rocking Wall-Frame Structures with Supplemental Tendon Systems," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 130 (6), 895 - 903.
|COURSE CODE||COURSE TITLE|
|CEE 371||Mathematical Methods in Civil Engineering|
|CEE 381||Structural Analysis I|
|CEE 486/686||Structural Analysis II|
|CEE 482||Design of Timber Structures|
|CEE 704||Applied Finite Element Analysis I|
|CEE 724||Applied Elasticity I|
|CEE 731||Advanced Dynamics of Structures|
|CEE 771||Experimental Methods for Civil Engineers|
|CS 241||Introduction to Computer Methods for Engineers|
|Special Problems in Curriculum and Instruction /
Special Engrg Problems
- Member, ASCE, EERI, CUREE, NEES, ASEE, TRB
- Contributor to ATC-58 - Interim Shake Table Test Protocol For Quantifying Seismic Fragility of Motion-Sensitive Nonstructural Components.
- Project Manager for NEES – Earthquake Engineering data model and metadata development in collaboration with the NEES System Integrators, NCSA.
- NEES Site and Project Manager at the University of Nevada, Reno – Development of Telepresence functions and infrastructure for remote participation and research collaboration.
- Experimental and analytical investigation of steel STMF systems.
- Experimental and analytical investigation of seismic response characteristics of skewed highway bridges.
- Experimental evaluation and seismic qualification testing of various non-structural systems.
- Experimental investigation of seismic response of timber bridges.
- Experimental and analytical investigation of the seismic response of a 1:3 scale sway frame of a deck-truss bridge with and without supplementary damping systems.
- Ambient (traffic) vibration tests on the North Grand Island deck-truss bridge.
- Quick release (snap back) experiments and system identification of two-three span slab-on-girder highway bridges with seismic isolation elements.
- Development of seismic design methodologies for linear and nonlinear viscous damping devices.
- Experimental and analytical investigation of the seismic response of a 1:4 scale steel model structures retrofitted with and without tension-only supplementary damping systems.
- Experimental and analytical investigation of the seismic response of a 1:3 scale reinforced concrete model structures retrofitted with and without supplementary damping systems.
- Quasi-static and dynamic testing of steel beam-column connections.
- Development of a nonlinear computational models and implementation in Drain-2DX.
- Instructor of record for course offered through the College of Extended Studies on the development of curriculum and teaching modules with engineering content for K7-9 students and teachers.