GARY NORRIS, Ph.D., P.E.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Mail Stop 258
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557-0258
T: (775) 784-6835
F: (775) 784-1390
|1977||Ph.D||University of California, Berkeley|
|1971||M.S.||University of California, Berkeley|
|1969||B.Sc||University of California, Berkeley|
- Deep foundations
- Seismic foundation behavior
- Soil property characterization
- Past chairman of the Soil Properties Committee of ASCE
- Presented S-O-A paper on "Seismic Bridge Pile Foundation Behavior" at the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) International conference on Deep Foundations
- Ongoing pile foundation research for Caltrans
- Liquefaction research for the Army Corps of Engineers
- Instructor for National Highway Institute's Soils Module
- Norris, G.M., Siddharthan, R., Zafir, Z., and Madhu, R., "Liquefaction and Residual Strength of Sands from Drained Triaxial Tests," Journal of the Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering Division, ASCE, March 1997, Vol. 123, No. 3, pp. 220-228.
- Ashour, M., Norris, G., and Pilling, P., “Lateral Loading of a Pile in Layered Soil Using the Strain Wedge Model,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 124, No. 4, April, 1998, pp. 303-315.
- Ashour, M. and Norris, G., “Liquefaction and Undrained Response Evaluation of Sands From Drained Formulation,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 125, No. 8, August, 1999, pp. 649-658.
- Ashour, M., and Norris, G. M., “Modeling Lateral Soil-Pile Response Based on Soil-Pile Interaction.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 126, No. 5, May, 2000, pp. 420-428.
- Khaleghi, B. and Norris, G,M,, “Performance of Bridge Structures in the January 26, 2001 India Earthquake,” PCI Journal, Nov-Dec.
- Ashour, M., Pilling, P. and Norris, G. M., “Strain Wedge Model Capability of Analyzing the Behavior of Laterally Loaded Piles, Drilled Shafts, and Pile Groups.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 7, No. 4, 2002.
- Ashour, M., and Norris, G. M. “Lateral Load Pile Response in Liquefiable Soil.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 129, No. 5, 2003, pp. 404-414.
- Ashour, M., Pilling, P., and Norris, G. M. “Lateral Behavior of Pile Groups in Layered Soils.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 130, No. 6, 2004, pp .
|COURSE CODE||COURSE TITLE|
|CEE 140||Introduction to Civil Engineering|
|CEE 442/642||Fundamentals of Geotechnical Engineering|
|CEE 443/643||Geotechnical Engineering: Foundations|
|CEE 444/644||Geotechnical Engineering: Retaining Structures|
|CEE 746||Advanced Foundation Engineering|
|CEE 748||Advanced Geotech Laboratory|