Resume Quick Tips
Write a great bullet point
- Identify the skill
- Start with a precise verb
- Add just enough detail
DROP BY THE STUDIO!
Visit Us in the Pennington Student Achievement Center
- 8 am - 8 pm | Mon - Thu
- 8 am - 5 pm | Fri
Career Advising Drop In Hours
- 10 am - 8 pm | Mon - Thu
- 10 am - 2 pm | Fri
Market Your Qualifications
A resume is your unique personal marketing tool. If it does its job right, you'll get the call to come in for an interview. Learn how to optimize your resume for the opportunity you want.
Best Practices for Resumes
- Keep track of everything you've done in a master resume
- Don't use a template
- Incorporate key words and phrases from the job description
- Leave out really old or irrelevant experiences
- Start with the education section if you are a student or recent grad
- Avoid funky fonts, colors, and formats
- Keep formatting consistent and neat
- Include your name, address, phone and email at the top
- Include position title, company, city & state, start/end date for every experience
- Use reverse chronological order within each section
- Use bullet points, not blocks of text
- Avoid all pronouns (I/me/my/he/she, etc.)
- Edit carefully to eliminate any and all mistakes
Each bullet point is a SNAPSHOT OF YOUR SKILL IN ACTION.
- Identify a transferable skill that you used on the job.
- Put it into action with a powerful verb.
- Complete it with context (a description, an achievement)
Childcare Provider, Reno Nanny Agency | Reno, NV | May 2014 - Present
- Coordinated care for groups of 2-6 children, ranging in age from 6 months to 10 years old
- Prioritized children's safety and well-being while overseeing daily activities
- Managed all childcare and household operations in clients' absence
- Honored as "Nanny of the Year" for receiving the most referrals in the agency in 2013
Possible Section Headings
Choose 3-5 section headings that fit your unique set of experiences.
There's no rule that says everyone has to have the same sections in the same order.
- PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- WORK EXPERIENCE
- RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
- OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
- PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- PROJECT-BASED EXPERIENCE
- LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
- VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
- EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
- COMMUNITY SERVICE
- HONORS & AWARDS
- TECHNICAL SKILLS
- PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
Avoid these sections on your resume: