LinkedIn Quick Tips
Download these tip sheets to guide you through setting up a profile, building a network, and advancing your career with LinkedIn.
Build your brand
Network like a pro
We're here to help.
Drop-in advising in Thompson 101A
- 10 am - 4 pm | Mondays
- 10 am - 7 pm | Tuesdays
- 10 am - 4 pm | Wednesdays
- 10 am - 4 pm | Thursdays
- 10 am - noon | Fridays
Your Personal, Professional Brand
Imagine this. An employer at your dream job has your resume in hand and wants to know more about you. She googles your name. As the search results pop up, you go from favorite candidate straight to the reject pile.
Before you start a job search you need to seize control of your personal, professional brand. Here's how to do it.
- Google yourself. Try to see the results through the eyes of an employer. Are you impressed... or concerned?
- Clean up your image. If it shows up in search results, an employer will find it.
- Check the privacy settings on the social media sites you use. Lock down anything you don't want an employer to see.
- Be proactive. Set up a LinkedIn profile to develop your personal brand in a professional direction. Use the tip sheets linked here to guide you through the process.
Explore Career Paths with LinkedIn
Did you know that you can use LinkedIn to research companies, connect with alumni, and explore career paths that fit your skills?
LinkedIn as a powerful research tool
- Research companies by location, industry, and size
- Follow companies that interest you, to stay abreast of news and job openings
- Search and connect with alumni who studied the same major, live where you want to live, work where you want to work, or any combination of these
- Join groups that align with your professional interests, and engage in conversations that help you further your career