Interview Quick Tips
Practice makes perfect
↑ Rehearse interview questions using your webcam and mic.
We love doing mock interviews! Just come by the Studio and the Career Mentors will practice with you one-on-one. We'll even throw in some workplace fashion tips if you want them.
Build Your Interview Confidence!
It doesn't matter if you're interviewing to be a ice cream scooper or a CEO. Your interviewer wants to know just 3 things:
- Can you do the job?
- Do you want the job?
- Do they want to work with you?
This is your big chance to showcase your skills, character, and attitude. We've put together our best tips to help you navigate any interview with style and skill.
Prepare your best material with the pillar method
You can't control what questions an employer will ask in an interview. You can control your message. Figure out your three best answers to the question, "Why should I hire you for this job?" These are your pillars, the supports on which you build your case for getting hired. Your pillars are the framework of your whole interview. Practice talking about each pillar with plenty of examples and lots of confidence.
Answer from experience
Experience-based questions pop up in nearly every interview. Your prospective employer asks questions like this to find out how you solved problems and overcame challenges in the past. Try using the SOAR method to construct an engaging, confident, and informative answer to this type of interview question.
"Tell me about a time when..."
- SITUATION - Who? What? When? Where?
- OBSTACLE - What was challenging? Why?
- ACTION - How did you approach the challenge?
- RESULT - Did things work out? Did you learn a lesson?
Ace the Interview from Start to Finish
Before the Interview
- Research the position, company, and industry.
- Prepare your talking points.
- Practice, practice, practice!
On the Day of the Interview
- Look your professional best.
- Bring extra copies of your resume and references.
- Arrive early.
- Breathe! Relax and be confident. Smile.
During the Interview
- Make eye contact. Be polite and attentive. Smile!
- Take your time and think through your answers.
- Be enthusiastic about the position.
- Be yourself!
After the Interview
- Send thank yous by email or handwritten note within 24 hours.
- Follow up according to what you discussed in the interview.