Work at the Career Studio
Apply to be a Career Mentor
Career Mentor Responsibilities
- Provide friendly and attentive customer service, greeting and assisting clients during walk-in hours
- Perform resume coaching and review of cover letters and job applications
- Mentor clients to improve their job search, professional communication, and interviewing skills
- Advise clients at every stage in their career exploration journey
- Assist clients in navigating the Nevada Career Studio's online resources
- Develop a working knowledge of career and graduate-school resources on campus and online
- Develop and implement projects
- Plan and present workshops as needed
- Participate in intensive initial and ongoing training to develop skills
Profile of a Career Mentor
We are interested in applicants who are highly motivated, able to learn new skills quickly, and comfortable taking on a high level of responsibility. Professionalism is a must. Applicants should have some experience working one-on-one with peers and presenting in front of groups. Career Mentors must possess excellent communication skills as well as an ability to connect with and advise diverse individuals. Hailing from different colleges and academic majors, Career Mentors all share a deep commitment to helping others reach their full potential.
- 2.75 minimum GPA
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior, with at least one semester at the University of Nevada, Reno
- Enrolled in a minimum of 15 credits per semester during the full academic year
- Mandatory training on campus the week before Fall semester starts (housing can be arranged if necessary)
- Full academic year commitment
- 10 hours of consistent availability between 10 am and 4 pm, Monday - Friday
Career Mentor positions pay $10.00/ hour for a commitment of approximately 10 hours/week.
When to Apply
Applications are accepted every year throughout the month of March. Qualified applicants may be invited to participate in a rigorous interview process. Interested students should find out more about the position by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and apply online.