Peter Weisberg, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Forest Ecology, Oregon State University, 1998
- M.S., Biogeography, University of Wyoming, 1994
- B.S., Forest Biology, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, 1992
I am interested in the causes and consequences of landscape change, including natural disturbances, effects of anthropogenic land use, ungulate-landscape interactions, and invasive species. My research often considers past landscape change as a guide to understanding present and future condition, and integrates field studies, GIS, remote sensing and simulation modeling. Ongoing research projects within my lab group address disturbance ecology, woodland expansion, post-fire succession, and ecological restoration in Great Basin pinyon-juniper woodlands; fire history and ecology of mountain big sagebrush communities; fire ecology of the Sierra Nevada (Lake Tahoe Basin); and the ecology of tamarisk invasions along the Colorado River in Grand Canyon.
- Karam, S. L., Weisberg, P. J., Scheller, R. M., Johnson, D. W., and W. Miller. 2013, Development and evaluation of a nutrient cycling extension for the LANDIS-II landscape simulation model., Ecological Modelling, 250: 45-57. Read More...
- Weisberg, P.J., Mortenson, S.G., and T.E. Dilts. 2013, Gallery Forest or Herbaceous Wetland? The Need for Multi-Target Perspectives in Riparian Restoration Planning., Restoration Ecology, 21(1): 12-16. Read More...
- Dilts, T.E., Yang, J., Weisberg, P.J., Olson, T.J., Turner, P.L., and Condon, L.A. 2012, Direct and indirect effects of irrigated agriculture on land cover change in an arid lands watershed., Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 102(3): 531-548. Read More...
- Weisberg, P.J., and D.W. Ko. 2012, Old tree morphology in singleleaf pinyon pine (Pinus monophylla)., Forest Ecology and Management, 263: 67-73. Read More...
- Mortenson, S.G., Weisberg, P.J. and L.E. Stevens. 2012, The influence of floods and precipitation on Tamarix establishment in Grand Canyon, Arizona: consequences for flow regime restoration., Biological Invasions, 14(5): 1061-1076. Read More...
- Condon, L. A., Weisberg, P. J., Chambers, J. C. 2011, Abiotic and biotic influences on Bromus tectorum invasion and Artemisia, International Journal of Wildland Fire, 20, 597-604 Read More...
- Trammell, E. Jamie, Weisberg, P. J., Bassett, S. 2011, Avian response to urbanization in the arid riparian context of Reno, USA, Landscape and Urban Planning, 102(2), 93-101 Read More...
- Ko, D. W., Sparrow, A. D., Weisberg, P. J. 2011, Land-use legacy of historical tree harvesting for charcoal production in a semi-arid woodland, Forest Ecology and Management, 261(7), 1283-1292
- Sunderman, S. O., Weisberg, P. J. 2011, Remote sensing approaches for reconstructing fire perimeters and burn severity mosaics in desert spring ecosystems, Remote Sensing of Environment, 115(9), 2384-2389 Read More...
- Mortenson, S. J., Weisberg, P. J. 2010, Does river regulation increase dominance of woody species in riparian landscapes?, Global Ecology & Biogeography, 19, 562-574. Read More...
- Pautasso, M., Böhning-Gaese, K., Clergeau, P., Cueto, V. R., Dinetti, M., Fernández-Juricic, E., Kaisanlahti-Jokimäki, M.-L., Jokimäki, J., McKinney, M. L., Sodhi, N. S.,
- Storch, D., Tomialojc, L., Weisberg, P. J., Woinarski, J., Fuller, R. A., Cantarello, E. 2010, Global macroecology of bird assemblages in urbanized and semi-natural ecosystems, Global Ecology and Biogeography, no. doi: 10.1111/j.1466-8238.2010.00616.x Read More...
- Hartman, J., Weisberg, P. J., Pillai, R., Ericksen, J., Kuiken, T., Lindberg, S., Zhang, H., Rytuba, J., Gustin, M. S. 2009, Application of a rule-based model to estimate mercury exchange for three background biomes in the continental United States., Environmental Science and Technology, 43, 4989 - 4994.
- Ko, D., Bristow, N., Greenwood, D. L., Weisberg, P. J. 2009, Canopy cover estimation in semi-arid woodlands: comparison of field-based and remote sensing methods.., Forest Science, 55, 132 - 141.
- Bauer, J. M., Weisberg, P. J. 2009, Fire history of a central Nevada pinyon-juniper woodland.., Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 39, 1589 - 1599.
- Greenwood, D. L., Weisberg, P. J. 2009, GIS-based modeling of pinyon-juniper woodland structure in the Great Basin.., Forest Science, 55, 1 - 12.
- Weisberg, P. J. 2009, Historical fire frequency on contrasting slope facets along the McKenzie River, western Oregon Cascades.., Western North American Naturalist, 69, 206 - 214.
- Poage, N. J., Weisberg, P. J., Tappeiner, J. C., Impara, P. C., Sensenig, T. S. 2009, Influence of climate, fire, and topography on contemporary age structures of Douglas-fir at 205 old forest sites in Western Oregon: A study in variability., Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 39, 1518 - 1530.
- Garbarino, M., Weisberg, P. J., Motta, R. 2009, Natural and anthropogenic disturbances: interactions and effects on the structure of European larch forests.., Forest Ecology and Management, 257, 1794 - 1802.
- Weisberg, P. J., Ko, D., Py, C., Bauer, J. 2008, Modeling fire and landform influences on the distribution of old-growth pinyon-juniper woodland., Landscape Ecology, 23, 931-943.
Mortenson, S. G., Weisberg, P. J. 2009, Plant community response to tamarisk invasion and hydrologic regime in the Cataract Canyon, Canyonlands National Park., Canyonlands National Park.
- Weisberg, P. J., Dilts, T. 2008, Monitoring vegetation of desert springs: a literature review, Death Valley National Park, USDI National Park Service.(pp. 36 p.)
- Weisberg, P. J., Sunderman, S. O., Karam, S. L. 2010, Fire Patterns and Fire Effects on the Plant Community, Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge., Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.
- Bristow, N., Tausch, R., Weisberg, P. J. 2010, Long-term Vegetation Response to Chaining and Prescribed Fire in Eastern Nevada Pinyon-Juniper Woodlands., Bureau of Land Management.