- B.S. 1979 Guilford College, Greensboro, NC
- M.S. 1983 University of NC, Chapel Hill
- Ph.D. 1988 University of Arizona
ACADEMIC & RESEARCH INTEREST
My primary research interests are the study of the fate and transport of contaminants in the environment. My recent work focuses primarily on the environmental fate of mercury and arsenic. Specific research topics include investigation of natural sources of atmospheric mercury, the role of plants in biogeochemical cycling of mercury, mercury pollution in the Steamboat Creek- Truckee River Watershed, arsenic in the Humboldt River and in ground waters in Fallon, NV. I have also investigated the fate of trifluoroacetic acid and organophosphate pesticides. I am especially interested in the role that atmosphere and vegetation play as sources, sinks and pathways for the cycling of environmental contaminants.
- Gustin, M. S., Huang, J., Miller, M., Peterson, C., Jaffe, D., Ambrose, J., Finley, B., Lyman, S., Call, K., Talbot, R., Feddersen, D., Mao, H., Lindberg, S. 2013, Do We Understand What the Mercury Speciation Instruments Are Actually Measuring? Results of RAMIX., Environmental Science and Technology, January 10, 2013 DOI 10.1021/es3039104 Read More...
- Miller, M., Gustin, M. S. 2013, Testing and modeling the influence of reclamation and control methods for reducing non-point mercury emissions associated with industrial open pit gold mines, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association Read More...
Huang, J., Gustin, M. S. 2012, Evidence for a Free Troposphere Source of Mercury in Wet Deposition in the Western United States., Environmental Science and Technology, 46, 6621-6629
- Gustin MS, Weiss-Penzias PS, Peterson C. 2012, Investigating sources of gaseous oxidized mercury in dry deposition at three sites across Florida, USA., Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 2012; 12: 9201-9219
- Jew, Adam; Kim, Christopher; Rytuba, James; Gustin, Mae; Brown, Gordon 2011, A New Technique for Quantification of Elemental Hg in Mine Wastes and Its Implications for Mercury Evasion Into the Atmosphere, Environmental Science and Technology 45 (2) 412-417.
- Eckley CS, Gustin M, Miller MB, Marsik F. 2011, Measurement of surface mercury fluxes at active industrial gold mines in Nevada (USA), The Science of the Total Environment 409 514-522
- Eckley CS, Gustin M, Miller MB, Marsik F. 2011, Nonpoint source Hg emissions from active industrial gold mines-influential variables and annual emission estimates., Environmental Science and Technology 45 (2) 392-399
- Lyman, S., Gustin, M. S., Prestbo, E. 2010, Development and use of passive samplers for determining reactive gaseous mercury concentrations., Atmospheric Environment, 44, 246-252.
- Gustin, M. S., Ladwig, K. 2010, Laboratory investigation of Hg release from flue gas desulfurization products., Environmental Science and Technology, 44, 4012-4018
Gustin, M. S. 2010, Measurement-Based Models for Estimating Mercury Flux from Soils., Environmental Science and Technology, 44, 8522-8588.
- Gustin, M. S., Jaffe, D. 2010, Reducing the uncertainty in measurement and understanding of mercury in the atmosphere., Environmental Science and Technology-News Feature, 44, 2222-2227.
- Eckley, C., Gustin, M. S., Lin, J., Li, X., Miller, M. 2010, The influence of dynamic chamber design and operating parameters on calculated surface-to-air mercury fluxes Atmospheric Environment., Atmospheric Environment, 44, 194-203.
Peterson, C., Gustin, M. S., Lyman, S. N. 2009, Atmospheric mercury concentrations and air speciation measured from 2004 to 2007 in Reno, NV, USA., Atmospheric Environment, 43, 4646-4654.
- Stamenkovic, J., Gustin, M. S. 2009, Non-stomatal versus stomatal foliar mercury exchange, Environmental Science and Technology, 43, 1367-1372..
Gustin, M. S., Weisberg, P. J., Lindberg, S. 2008, An update on our understand of the role of natural sources and sinks in the biogeochemical cycle of Hg, Applied Geochemistry, 23, 482-493
- Gustin, M. S., Ericksen, J., Fernandez, G. C 2008, Determination of the potential for release of mercury from combustion product amended soils -I. Simulations of beneficial use, Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, 58, 673-683.
Book or Chapter(s) in Books
- Gustin, M.S. 2011, Exchange of Mercury between the Atmosphere and Terrestrial Ecosystems, Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology of Mercury Guangliang Liu, Prof. Yong Cai and Prof. Nelson O'Driscoll eds. John Wiley and Sons.