- Ph.D., Natural Resources, University of Michigan, 1980
- M.S., Wildlife Management, Humboldt State University, 1975
- B.S., Biological Sciences, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1972
Mike Collopy is the Executive Director of the Academy for the Environment at the University of Nevada, Reno. In this capacity he is responsible for strengthening the interdisciplinary research and education focus of environmental programs throughout the university. Prior to working at UNR (1991-2001), Collopy served as Director of a federal research laboratory (currently known as the Forest and Rangeland Ecosystem Science Center) headquartered at Oregon State University, in Corvallis, Oregon. Before that, he was on the faculty of the Department of Wildlife and Range Sciences at the University of Florida (1980-1991; Chair from 1987-1991).
Throughout his career, Collopy has directed research on the behavior, habitat requirements, and ecology of a variety of avian species, particularly birds of prey. Collopy is particularly interested in helping both undergraduate and graduate students develop the technical and interpersonal skills necessary to successfully compete for positions in academia and natural resource management/conservation.
- Briggs, C.W.*, M.W. Collopy, and B. Woodbridge. 2011a. Reproduction versus recruitment in Swainson’s Hawks in the Butte Valley, California. Condor 113: 547-554.
- Briggs, C.W.*, M.W. Collopy, and B. Woodbridge. 2011b. Plumage polymorphism and fitness in Swainson’s hawks. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24: 2258-2268.
- Briggs, C.W.*, B. Woodbridge, and M.W. Collopy. 2011. Correlates of survival in Swainson’s Hawks breeding in northern California. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:1307-1314.
- Briggs, C.W.* and M.W. Collopy. 2012. Extra-pair paternity in Swainson’s Hawks. Journal of Field Ornithology 83:41-46.
- Brown, J.L.* and M.W. Collopy. 2012a. Bayesian hierarchical model assessment of nest site and landscape effects on nest survival of Aplomado Falcons. Journal of Wildlife Management 76:800-812.
- Brown, J.L.* and M.W. Collopy. 2012b. Immigration stabilizes a population of threatened cavity-nesting raptors despite possibility of nest box imprinting. Journal of Avian Biology 43:001-008.
- Collopy, M. W., J. Cannell, S. Daniels, D. Dippon, E. Gaar, B. Mulder, C. Philpot, J. Steffenson, and F. Swanson. 1993. Implementation and adaptive management. Chapter VIII. In Forest Ecosystem Management: An ecological, economic, and social assessment. Final Report of the Forest Ecosystem Management Assessment Team (FEMAT), pp. VIII: 1-54.
- Bormann, B. T., P. G. Cunningham, M. H. Brookes, V. W. Manning, and M. W. Collopy. 1994. Adaptive ecosystem management in the Pacific Northwest. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR- 341. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 22p.
- Lancia, R. A., C.E. Braun, M. W. Collopy, R. D. Dueser, J. G. Kie, C. J. Martinka, J. D. Nichols, T. D. Nudds, W. R. Porath, and N. G. Tilghman. 1996. ARM! For the future: adaptive resource management in the wildlife profession. Wildlife Society Bulletin 24:436-442.
- Kochert, M. N., and M. W. Collopy. 1998. Relevance of research to resource managers and policy makers. Pp. 423-430 In J. M. Marzluff and R. Sallabanks (eds.). Avian Conservation: Research and Management. Island Press, Washington, D.C. 563 pp.
- Lint, J., B. Noon, R. Anthony, E. Forsman, M. Raphael, M. Collopy, and E. Starkey. 1999. Northern spotted owl effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-440. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 43p.
- Jodice, P.G.R.*, and M. W. Collopy. 2000. Activity patterns of marbled murrelets in old-growth Douglas-fir forests of the Oregon Coast Range. Condor 102:275-285.
- Dreitz, V.J., R.E. Bennetts, B. Toland, W.M. Kitchens, and M.W. Collopy. 2001. Spatial and temporal variability in nest success of Snail Kites in Florida: A meta-analysis. Condor 103:502-509.
- Jodice, P.G.R.*, and M. W. Collopy. 2001. Using resampling to assess reliability of audio-visual survey strategies for Marble Murrelets at inland forest sites. Waterbirds 24:331-344.
- Dreitz, V.J., R.E. Bennetts, W.M. Kitchens, and M.W. Collopy. 2002. Snail Kite nest success and water levels: A reply to Beissinger and Snyder. Condor 104:216-221.
- Meyer, K.D., S.M. McGehee, and M.W. Collopy. 2004. Food deliveries at Swallow-tailed Kite nests in southern Florida. Condor 106:171-176.
- McIntyre, C.L.* and M.W. Collopy. 2006. Postfledging dependence period of migratory Golden Eagles (Aquila chrysaetos) in Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska. Auk 123:877-884.
- McIntyre, C.L.*, M.W. Collopy, J.G. Kidd, A.A. Stickney, and J. Paynter. 2006. Characteristics of the landscape surrounding Golden Eagle nests in Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska. Journal of Raptor Research 40:46-51.
- McIntyre, C.L.*, M.W. Collopy, and M.S. Lindberg. 2006. Survival probability and mortality of migratory juvenile golden eagles from interior Alaska. Journal of Wildlife Management 70:717-22.
- Brown, J.L.*, M.W. Collopy, E.J. Gott, P.W. Juergens, A.B. Montoya, and W.G. Hunt. 2006. Wild-reared aplomado falcons survive and recruit at higher rates than hacked falcons in a common environment. Biological Conservation 131:453-458.
- Lammers, W.M.* and M.W. Collopy. 2007. Effectiveness of avian predator perch deterrents on electric transmission lines. Journal of Wildlife Management 71:2752-2758.
- Brown, J.L.* and M.W. Collopy. 2008. Nest site characteristics affect nest-survival rates of northern aplomado falcons (Falco femoralis septentrionalis). Auk 125:105-112.
- McIntyre, C.L.*, D.C. Douglas, and M.W. Collopy. 2008. Movements of golden eagles (Aquila chrysaetos) from interior Alaska during their first year of independence. Auk 125:214-224.
- Smallwood, J.A. and M.W. Collopy. 2009. Southeastern American Kestrels respond to an increase in the availability of the nest cavities in northcentral Florida. Journal of Raptor Research 43:291-300.
- Briggs, C.W.*, B. Woodbridge, and M.W. Collopy. 2010. Temporal morph invariance of Swainson's Hawks. Journal of Raptor Research 44:70-73.
- Briggs, C.W.*, B. Woodbridge, and M.W. Collopy. 2010. Inheritance patterns of plumage morph in Swainson's Hawks. Journal of Raptor Research 44:232-235.
*Graduate student of M.W. Collopy