Center for Resource Economics
For information about Rollins Research, see ESNR
University of Nevada, Department of Economics/Mail Stop 0204
1664 North Virginia Street
Reno, Nevada 89557
Tel: (775) 784-1677
Office: Ansari Business, 521D
B.A. University of Maine, Orono Maine, 1981
Ph.D. University of Wisconsin, 1990
Academic and Research Interest
My research and teaching interests are in the areas of Natural Resources and Environmental Economics. I have worked on problems associated with allocation of public goods, mechanisms to align social and private incentives, and non-market valuation. Applied work has provided opportunities to work with ecologists and other natural scientists, policy-makers, resource managers and others working in fields related to natural resources and environment. Some of these applications include: Invasive annual grasses and wildfire, valuation of environmental goods and services, landowner and wildlife conflicts, protected areas in the Northwest Territories, backcountry canoeing in Ontario, Aboriginal fishery management on the Great Lakes, optimal incentives for private users of public forests, management of parks and protected areas, green consumer products, groundwater protection, and municipal water system financing.
- ECON 307 Environmental Economics
- ECON 309 Natural Resource Economics
- ECON 467 Environmental and Natural Res. Econ. & Policy General Capstone
- ECON 667 Environmental and Natural Resource Economics and Policy
- ECON 769 Natural Resource Economics
- ECON 767 Environmental Economics
Awards, Honors and Professional Recognition
- Editor's Choice from the Journal of Applied Ecology for the article "A Systems Approach for Restoring Degraded Rangelands" 50(3): 730-739.
- Best Journal Article Honorable Mention, Awarded by the Canadian Agricultural Economics Association, July 1998 for Rollins, Kimberly, William Wistowsky and Michael Jay, "Wilderness Canoeing in Ontario: Using Cumulative Results to Update Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Offer Amounts."
- Seven national MS thesis & PhD dissertation awards won by graduate students supervised.
- Outstanding Agricultural Economics Dissertation, Awarded by the American Agricultural Economics Association (AAEA) in August 1991 for "Agriculture and Wildlife: From Principal-Agent Theory to a Wisconsin Economic Policy".
- Christman, L. and K. Rollins. (2014). "The Expected Value of Wildfire-potential Information: A Location-Allocation Proble for Fire Suppression Resources", Resubmitted.
- Kobayashi, M., K. Rollins, and M.H. Taylor. (2014). "Optimal Livestock Management on Sagebrush Rangeland with Ecological Thresholds, Wildfire, and Invasive Plants", Forthcoming in Land Economics.
- James, J.J., R. Sheley, T. Erickson, K. Rollins, M.H. Taylor, J. Aronson, and K.W. Dixon. (2013). "A systems approach to restoring degraded drylands", Applied Ecology 50(3): 730-739.
- Taylor, M., K. Rollins, M. Kobayashi, and R. Tausch. (2013). "The Economics of Fuel Management: Wildfire, Invasive Plants, and the Evolution of Sagebrush Rangelands in the Western United States", Journal of Environmental Management 126: 157-173.
- Taylor, M. and K. Rollins. (2012). "The Economics of Ecologically Based Invasive Plant Management on High Desert Rangelands", Rangelands 34(6): 48-52.
- Taylor, M. and K. Rollins. (2012). "Using Ecological Models to Coordinate Valuation of Ecological Change on Western Rangelands for ex post Application to Policy Analysis", Western Economics Forum 11(1): 13-21.
- Kobayashi, M., K. Moeltner, and K. Rollins. (2012). "Latent Threshold Analysis of Choice Data with Multiple Bids and Response Options", American Journal of Agricultural Economics 94(1): 189-208.
- Evans, M.D.R., K. Rollins, and L. Christman. (2012). "The Frying Pan or the Fire: Public Attitudes about Using Herbicides to Manage Invasive Weeds", Environmental Economics 3(3): 108-121.
- Kobayashi, M., K. Rollins, and M.D.R. Evans. (2010). "Sensitivity of WTP Estimates to Definition of ‘Yes’: Reinterpreting Expressed Response Intensity", Agricultural and Resource Economics Review 39(1): 37-55.
- Rollins, K., D. Dumitras, and A. Castledine. (2008). "An Analysis of Congestion Effects Across and Within Multiple Recreation Activities", Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie 56(1): 95-116.
- Insley, M. and K. Rollins. (2005). "On Solving the Multirotational Timber Harvesting Problem with Stochastic Prices: A Linear Complementarity Formulation", American Journal of Agricultural Economics 87(3): 735–755.
- Rollins, K. and D.E. Dumitras. (2005). "Estimation of Median Willingness to pay for a system of recreation areas", International Review of Public and Non-Profit Marketing 2(1): 73-84.
- Rollins, K., L. Heigh, and V. Kanetkar (2004). "Net Costs of Wildlife Damage on Private Lands", Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 29(3):5 17-536.
- Boxall, P., K. Rollins, and J. Englin. (2003). "Heterogeneous Preferences for Wilderness Congestion", Resource and Energy Economics 25(2): 177 – 19.
- Rollins, K. and J. Shaykewich. (2003) "Using Willingness-to-pay to assess the economic value of weather forecasts for multiple commercial sectors", Meteorological Applications 10(1): 30-38.
- Heigh, J., G. Fox, D. McKenney, and K. Rollins. (2003) "The economic impact of the 1998 ice storm on eastern Ontario woodlots: Case studies of red pine and white cedar", Forestry Chronicle 79(1): 31-44.
- Gordon, A. M., D. Larson, R. McBride, G. Lumis, K. Rollins, and S. Humphries. (2002) "Learning about the forest using alternative curricula – the Guelph Experience", Forestry Chronicle (78)3:1-7.
- Kidon, J., G. Fox, D. McKenney, and K. Rollins. (2002). "An enterprise-level economic analysis of losses and financial assistance for eastern Ontario maple syrup producers from the 1998 ice storm", Forest Policy and Economics 4(3): 201-211.
- Kidon, J., G. Fox, D. McKenney, and K. Rollins. (2001), "Economic Impact of the 1998 Ice Storm on the Eastern Ontario Maple Syrup Industry", Forestry Chronicle 77(4).
- Dyack, B., K. Rollins, and A. Gordon. (1999), "A model to calculate ex ante the threshold value of interaction effects necessary for proposed intercropping projects to be feasible to the landowner and desirable to society", Agroforestry Systems 44: 197-214.
- Rollins, K. and A. Lyke. (1998). "The Case for Diminishing Marginal Existence Values", Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 36: 324-344.
- Rollins, K. and W. Wistowsky. (1997). "Benefits of Backcountry Canoeing in Ontario Wilderness Parks", Journal of Applied Recreation Research 22(1): 9-31.
- Rollins, K., J. Frehs, D. Tate, and O. Zachariah. (1997). "Resource Valuation and Public Policy: The Case of Water Pricing", Canadian Water Resources Journal 22(2): 185-195.
- Rollins, K., W. Wistowsky, and M. Jay. (1997). "Wilderness Canoeing in Ontario: Using Cumulative Results to Update Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Offer Amounts", Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 45: 1-16.
- Rollins, K. and H. Briggs. (1996). "Moral Hazard, Externalities and Compensation for Crop Damages from Wildlife", Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 31: 368-386.
- Rollins, K., M. Forsyth, S. Bonti-Ankomah, and B. Amoah. (1995). "Economic Analysis of a White Pine Improvement Cut", Forestry Chronicle 71(4): 466-472.
- Taylor, M.H., L. Christman, and K. Rollins. (2013). "Risk Externalities, Wildfire Hazard, and Private Investment to Mitigate Wildfire Risk in the Wildland-Urban Interface". UNR Economics Working Paper Series Working Paper No. 13-003.
- Taylor, M.H, K. Rollins, M. Kobayashi, and R. Tausch. (2011). "The Economics of Fuel Management: Wildfire, Invasive Species, and the Evolution of Sagebrush Rangelands in the Western United States," UNR Joint Economics Working Paper Series, WP 11-002.
- Kobayashi,M., K. Moeltner, and K. Rollins. (2010). "Latent Threshold Analysis of Choice Data with Multiple Bids and Response Options", UNR Joint Economics Working Paper Series, Working Paper No. 10-001.
- Rollins, K., M.D.R. Evans, M. Kobayashi, and A. Castledine. (2010), "Willingness to Pay Estimation When Protest Beliefs are not Separable from the Public Good Definition", UNR Joint Economics Working Paper Series Working Paper No. 10-002.
- Kobayashi, M. and K. Rollins. (2009). "Invasive Weeds, Wildfire, and Rancher Decision Making in the Great Basin", UNR Joint Economics Working Paper Series Working Paper No. 09-004.
- Rollins, K., M. Taylor, M. Kobayashi, and R. Tausch. (2012). "The economics of fuel management: Wildfire, invasive plants, and the evolution of sagebrush rangelands in the Western United States," selected paper presented at the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, August, 2012.
- Rollins, K., M. Taylor, M. Kobayashi, and R. Tausch. (2012). "The economics of fuel management: Wildfire, invasive plants, and the evolution of sagebrush rangelands in the Western United States," selected paper presented at the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists 19th Annual Conference, 27-30 June 2012, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Rollins, K., M.H. Taylor, and M. Kobayashi. (2011). "Incorporating Ecological Thresholds in the Modeling of Economic Decision Making on Semi-Arid Rangelands." Selected Paper presented at the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists Inaugural Annual Summer Conference, June 9-10, Seattle, WA.
- Rollins K. and M. Kobayashi. (2010). "Embedding a Field Experiment in Contingent Valuation to Measure Context-Dependent Risk Preferences: An Application to Wildfire Risk", Selected Paper 11142, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado. 33 pages.
- Kobayashi, M., T. Harris, and K. Rollins. (2010). "Invasive Weeds, Wildfire, and Rancher Decision Making in the Great Basin", Selected Paper 613121, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association>2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 23 pages.
- Kobayashi, M. K. Rollins, and M.H. Taylor. (2010). "Ranching, Invasive Annual Grasses, and the External Costs of Wildfire in the Great Basin: A Stochastic Dynamic Programming Approach", Selected Paper 11955, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association>2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado. 39 pages.
- Rollins, K. L. Rodriguez, and M. Price. (2007). "Using Bid Design to Measure the Boundaries of WTP", Selected Paper 175050, American Agricultural Economics Association>2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon. 17 pages.
- Rollins, K., A. Castledine, S. Swanson, M.D.R. Evans, K. McAdoo, B. Schultz, M. Havercamp, and R. Wilson. (2007). "The 2005 Nevada Rangeland Vegetation Survey General Public Questionnaire", University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Special Publication 07-11, 48 pages.
- McIver, J., M. Brunson, S. Bunting, J. Chambers, N. Devo, P. Doescher, J. Grace, D. Johnson, S. Knick, R. Miller, M. Pellant, F. Pierson, D. Pyke, K. Rollins, B. Roundy, E. Schupp, R. Tausch, D. Turner. (2010). "The Sagebrush Steppe Treatment Evaluation Project (SageSTEP): A Test of State-and-Transition Theory", General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-237. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 16 6.