- Ph.D. Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology, Ohio State University, 1999
- M.S. Zoology, St. Petersburg University, Russia. 1983
My background is in vertebrate zoology and behavioral ecology, but over last few years I have shifted my focus from research to undergraduate teaching and advising. I became interested and engaged in teaching during my years in graduate school. Even though I always enjoyed research, I quickly realized that my talents could be best applied to undergraduate education, and I am convinced that I have chosen the best profession in the world. Over the course of my career, I have adjusted my approach to teaching, shifting focus from covering content, to actively engaging students in learning concepts. I come from a very traditional, content-based approach to education, and fully identifying and embracing a student-centered approach to teaching did not come easily for me. And even though I have made progress over years, I will never stop working to become a better teacher and mentor to my students.
One of my courses, Biology 192 (Principles of Biological Investigations) has recently won a 2012 Blackboard Catalyst Award for Exemplary Courses. To learn more about this course, please visit the following links:
Selected Professional Presentations
- Solovyova-Vincent, A., E. Pravosudova, and M. Pelter. "From Ordinary to Exemplary Courses: Transforming Online Learning One Course at a Time." Lilly Conference on College & University Teaching - West, March 2011, Pomona CA
- Pravosudova, E. and P. Sandstrom. "Retaining a Community of Learners with Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) in Biology." 9th Annual Northern Nevada Assessment Conference, February 2011, Reno NV
- Pravosudova, E. and A. Amigo. "Measuring What Matters: Assessing Conceptual Development in the Sciences." Strengthening Student Success" Conference, October 2007, San Jose CA
- Pravosudova, E., Cardoza, F., and T. Maddux. "Learner-Centered Environments in Science Courses." Strengthening Student Success" Conference, October 2007, San Jose CA
- Pravosudova, E.V., P.G. Parker, and A.S. Gaunt. 2002. Genetic evidence of extrapair paternity in the Tufted Titmice. Wilson Bulletin. 114:279-281.
- Pravosudova, E.V., T.C. Grubb, and P.G. Parker. 2001. The influence of kinship on nutritional condition and aggression levels in winter social groups of Tufted Titmice. Condor. 103:821-828
- Pravosudova, E.V. and T.C. Grubb, Jr. 2000. An experimental test of the prolonged brood care model in the Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor). Behavioral Ecology. 11:309-314.
- Pravosudova, E.V., T.C. Grubb, Jr., P.G. Parker, and P.F. Doherty, Jr. 1999. Patch size and composition of social groups in wintering Tufted Titmice. The Auk. 116:1153-1156.