- University of Nevada, Reno, Ph.D., Biochemistry 2006
- University of Nevada, Reno, B.A., History 1991
Before joining the Biology department as a lecturer, I was engaged in neuroscience research. My post-doctoral research focused on the genetics and signaling networks of learning and memory and later on the neural component of strabismus. Research requires time, attention, and an open mind. I have found teaching to require the same. I have taught introduction to cell biology, genetics, cell biology, and molecular biology laboratory. Recognizing that in a large lecture of class of 200 students, it is difficult to teach to each student, I provide a variety of assignments and assessments in order to facilitate success for all students. In addition to teaching biology, I am actively involved in the local chapter of the Society for Neuroscience. My primary contribution is to develop and organize Brain Awareness Week each year. In keeping with my teaching, Brain Awareness Week is a week of community outreach to teach about the brain. At each level of teaching, whether at the senior citizen's center or in a kindergarten classroom or in the UNR biology lab class, the students are a constant source of inspiration and learning for me.
- 2012 Amy L. Altick, Cheng-Yuan Feng, L. Alan Johnson, and Chris S. von Bartheld. "Differences in Gene Expression between strabismic and normal human extraocular muscles. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 53(9): 5168-77.
- 2011 Itzel Ricaño-Cornejo, Amy L. Altick, Claudia García-Peña, Hikmet Feyza Nural, Diego Echevarría, Amaya Miquelajáuregui, Grant S. Mastick, and Alfredo Varela-Echavarría. "Slit-Robo signals regulate TPOC axon pathfinding in the mammalian forebrain." Journal of Neuroscience Research 89(10): 1531-41.
- 2011 von Bartheld, C.S. and A. L. Altick. "Multivesicular bodies in neurons: distribution, protein content and trafficking functions." Progress in Neurobiology 93(3):313-340.
- 2010 Mastick G.S., Farmer W.T., Altick A.L., Nural H.F., Dugan J.P., Kidd T., Charron F. "Longitudinal axons are guided by Slit/Robo signals from the floor plate." Cell Adhesion & Migration 4(3):337-41.
- 2009 A.L. Altick, L.M. Baryshnikova, T.Q.Vu, C.S. von Bartheld. "Quantitative analysis of multivesicular bodies (MVBs) in hypoglossal nerve: evidence that neurotrophic factors do not use MVBs for retrograde axonal transport." Journal of Comparative Neurology 514:641-657.
- 2009 Jens Strelau, Adam Strzelczyk, Patricia Rusu, Gerald Bendner, Stefan Wiese, Francesca Diella, Amy Altick, Christopher von Bartheld, Rudiger Klein, Michael Sendtner, and Klaus Unsicker. "Progressive postnatal motoneuron loss in mice lacking GDF-15." Journal of Neuroscience, Oct 28; 29(43):13640-13648.
- 2008 W.T. Farmer, Altick, A.L. Nural, H., Dugan, J, Kidd, T, Charron, F, and G. Mastick. "Pioneer longitudinal axons navigate using floor plate and Slit/Robo signals." Development 135 (22);3643-3653.
- 2005 A. L. Altick, Dravis C., Bowdler T., Henkemeyer M., Mastick G.S. "EphB receptor tyrosine kinases control morphological development of the ventral midbrain." Mechanisms of Development 122(4):501-12.