Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
College of Engineering
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering University of Wyoming, 1980
- M.S., Control Systems Center, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, 1977
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Cairo University, 1974
University of Nevada-Reno
- Professor 1995-Present
- Associate Professor 1989 to 1995
- Assistant Professor 1985-89
- Tenured 1991
Duties include teaching, funded research, graduate and undergraduate advising, Assessment Coordinator. Chair Department Curriculum Committee, Past: Graduate Student Coordinator and Chair of Graduate Admission Committee 1989-98, Member University Conflict of Interest Committee, Past Chair College Personnel Committee.
Colorado State University
- Post Doctoral Fellow, 1984-1985
Investigated problems in robotics, satellite maneuvering,biochemical process control and physiological system identification.
King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah
- Assistant Professor, 1981-1983
Duties included teaching, undergraduate advising and research. Participated in starting a new bioengineering program.
University of Wyoming
- Teaching Assistant, 1979-80
Taught several introductory electrical engineering labs.
Cairo Research Center
- Engineer, 1975
Participated in research on computer control of electrical machines.
Giza Systems, Consultants
- Engineer, 1974-75
Participated in the specification formulation for the communication system of the Egyptian Power Network.
- Fuzzy logic control
- Fault detection
- Renewable energy systems
- Random signals
- Mathematical modeling of biological systems
- Engineering education
Two international projects funded by NSF in collaboration with the Egyptian National Research Center
Arabic, English, Spanish, French
- Freshman: FORTRAN Programming, Introduction to Engineering
- Sophomore: Circuits, Computer Matrix Algebra
- Junior: Introduction to Linear Systems, Circuits & Systems, Classical Control
- Senior: Modern Control, Digital Control
- Linear Systems
- Optimal Control
- Nonlinear Control
- Robust Control
- Robotics Seminar
- Neural Networks Seminar
- Neural Networks
- Random Signals Seminar
- Random Signals & Estimation
- Estimation Theory
- Fault Detection
- Signal Detection
Selected and recent publications
- S. Jafarzadeh, M. S. Fadali, C. Y. Evrenosoglu, "Solar power prediction using interval type-2 TSK modeling," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 333-339, April 2013.
- S. Jafarzadeh, M. S. Fadali, "On the Stability and Control of Continuous-Time TSK Fuzzy Systems," IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man & Cybernetics-B, (accepted, to appear).
- S. Arabli, M. Ghofrani, M. Etezadi-Amoli, M. S. Fadali, "A Framework for Optimal Placement of Energy Storage Units within a Power System with High Wind Penetration," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, (accepted, to appear).
- S. Arabli, M. Ghofrani, M. Etezadi-Amoli, M. S. Fadali, and Y Baghzouz, "Genetic -Algorithm-Based Optimization Approach for Energy Management," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 162-170, Jan 2013.
- S. Jafarzadeh, C. Lascu, M. S. Fadali, "Square Root Unscented Kalman Filters for State Estimation of Induction Motor Drives," IEEE Trans. on Industry Application, pp. 92-99, Jan/Feb 2013.