Every Spring and Fall the UNR Arboretum sends out a newsletter called "The Arborist". You can check out the latest issue here: "The Arborist" Spring 2016
2016-2017 UNR Arboretum Tree Talk Series
The talks are at 7:00 p.m. Location: TBD.
- Tuesday 9/27 in Mackey Science room 321- Grant Cramer, UNR Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology-on research to develop grapes that will grow well in northern Nevada, given factors of salinity, aridity, cold, and heat.
- Tuesday 10/25- Jean Earl on Basque tree rubbings around Tahoe. Jean and Phillip Earl are co-authors of Basque Aspen Art of the Sierra Nevada (2011).
- Tuesday 11/29- Steve Churchillo, City of Reno Urban Forester, and possibly Naomi Duerr, Reno City Council Member-on Reno's tree inventory and Urban Forest Management plan: what is a tree inventory and management plan, how to apply it, species and age diversity findings and implications, sustainability factors, trends, and forecasting future urban forest conditions.
- Wednesday 3/1- Marty Sillito, UNR Assistant Director of Grounds Services--on the greening of campus-environment-friendly developments in campus landscaping and grounds maintenance. Improvements, special technology (smart irrigation, air spade), and future ideas (vertical gardens, rooftop gardens, rainwater catchments).
- Tuesday 3/28-- Dan Baird, retired range conservationist for U.S Forest Service-Brief history of the Forest Service, differences between the Forest Service and the Park Service, trees that grow in Nevada, timber harvest (not a lot in Nevada, but we have some), wildfire control, and some lessons he's learned over the years.
- Tuesday 4/25--Charlie Truettner, PhD student in geography-on his tree ring research
For more information, please call (775) 784-4528
Bad Weather? Email Cheryll Glotfelty (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information.
The annual celebration of Arbor Day in April includes tree plantings and a tree giveaway.
Annual tree giveaway