Every Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter the UNR Arboretum sends out a newsletter called "The Arborist". You can check out the latest issue here: "The Arborist" Spring 2016
April and May Events
- April: "Out on a Limb": Tree-Themed student art show will be displayed in the breezeway of the Knowledge Center for the month of April.
- Friday, April 22: Earth Day (10:00-3:00 Gateway Plaza). Many groups represented. Arboretum will be giving away saplings and other freebies.
- Tuesday, April 26: 7:00, MS 321: Arboretum "Tree Talk" on the Nevada Big Tree program and preview of UNR's state champion trees. Rod Haulenbeek, "The Tree Hunter," is the speaker.
- Friday, April 29: Arbor Day
- 10:00: Meet at the statue of John Mackay at the north end of the quad--Nevada Big Tree tour led by Arboretum Board member Rod Haulenbeek: UNR has more than 25 Nevada Big Trees, the largest specimens of their species in the state. This tour will visit some highlights.
- 1:00: TreeCampus USA recertification and ceremonial tree planting. We will be planting a Monkey Puzzle tree (sponsored by the ASUN Center for Student Engagement) on the north side of the new Pennington building.
- Thursday, May 5 (12:30-2:30) Student-led tree tour around the Joe, the Knowledge Center, and Church Fine Arts. Tour departs from Gateway Plaza, just outside the main doors of the Joe.
- Saturday, May 7: Day at the Museum (10:00-4:00) A campus-wise showcase of the University District Consortium's museums. The Arboretum will staff a table of kid-friendly activities in the Hilliard Plaza.
For more information, please call (775) 784-4528
Bad Weather? Email Cheryll Glotfelty (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information.
The annual celebration of Arbor Day in April includes tree plantings and a tree giveaway.
Annual tree giveaway